Problems with a new OLIN 1 gig flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought the above device which should be plug and play however i have found that on both my PC's running XP Pro or XP Home it misbehaves oddly.
When i plug it into a USB2 port the device takes 2 new drive letters!
OLIN (F: )
Removalble disk (G: )

the properties of the 2 drive letters are:
F: 50Kb and full, and
G: 1gigabyte and empty

I could possibly put up with this odd behhaviour except that while I can copy data to the G: drive, I can only do so at USB1 speed!

Has anyone else come across this sort of anomaly?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice on this.

Phil.
PS i have since noticed that the wnidows explorer sees the new F drive as a CD device!?
The G drive is listed as a Removable device.

i think OLIN may be a program that the device uses as soon as it is placed into the computer, mine does a U3 thing. I wouldnt worry about the OLIN, but the speed is odd... ur sure ur placing it in a newer USB slot? and does this happen on both computers?

this is because U3 drives DO have 2 partitions on many flash drives. Delete the partitions and reformat the drive as 1 drive. BE VERY CAREFUL as to what letter drives you select on DON'T delete your hard disk drive. All this can be done in disk management.

Thanks for the responses guys.

In the interim I just took it back to the store where i purchased and they were happy to give me an immediate refund.
They told that there had been several instances of this problem previous to mine.

Wish they had told me that when I was buying it!

Cheers
Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back