Problems with HP TouchSmart All-In-One IQ770

hatesbluescreen

Hi!
I have a very interesting problem on my hands. I've had this PC for over 2 to 3 years without any hardware problems.
But one day I was using it like I usually do, no problems at all, when the monitor suddenly flicked off. I moved the mouse around and pressed keys on the keyboard but nothing happened. I waited thinking that it was maybe just updates doing what it needs to do, but after quite a while I knew something was wrong.
I pressed and held the on/off button to shut it down manually and started it up again. The HP screen came up as usual but there were some weird dotted designs across the screen. Then it went black with bigger green lines across the screen for about 3 seconds then went to the windows Vista loading screen. Well, again there were weird lines across the screen but they were white.
After about 30 seconds the screen goes blank and either stayed like that or after a while went to a blue screen.
It restarted and I had the option do an automatic fix from Windows but that failed numerous times.
I hated to do it but I couldn't think of any other way so I tried to restore it to it's factory settings. That was also a no-go so I figure it must be a hardware problem...

Has anything like this happened to anyone but me?
Can anyone think of what hardware might be causing the problem? I have a friend that says something a little similar happened to his laptop and found out that his motherboard was fried... =-/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Back