Problems with IE I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg110270

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition ver 5.1 service pack 3 and IE ver 7.0.5730.11. I recently updated IE with that "out of band security update for IE" that was talked about in my newspaper. Now, while at the AOL homepage and viewing the latest news section, When I clic on an article the text comes up but not the pictures. I get the following IE window message sometimes.
One or more ActiveX could not be displayed because either:
1 Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page.
2 You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.
I'm a novice at the settings for IE so what should I do?

One or more ActiveX could not be displayed because either:
1 Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page.
2 You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.
I'm a novice at the settings for IE so what should I do?
Sounds like some settings were changed:

1A. Check/Change Security level:
*. Open Internet Explorer.
*. Click Tools and select Internet Options.
*. Click the Security tab> Internet> Custom Level.
*. Select Medium zone for the security level.
*. Click on Apply> OK.
1B. Check Image Settings
*. Open Internet Explorer
*. Click Tools> Internet options
*. Advanced tab> Multimedia section
*. Check> Show Pictures (you can check other settings in this section if needed.
*. Click on Apply> OK.
1C. Check Active X Settings:
*. Open Internet Explorer
*. Tools> Internet options
*. Security tab> Custom Settings
*. Active X settings
*. CHECK all Active X boxes to Enable EXCEPT 'download unsigned' and ;initialize and script not marked as safe' which should be set to Prompt.

2. Check phishing filter for blocked page:
To determine if a website is a reported phishing website or not, the Phishing Filter will check the address of the website you are trying to visit on a Microsoft server to see if it’s a reported phishing site. The Phishing Filter will display a strong yellow alert if the site is questionable in the Security Status Bar, a new feature area located next to the address bar. But sometimes, a legitimate web page will get blocked.

How To Disable the Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7
*. Open Internet Explorer 7.
*. Choose Tools> Phishing Filter> Phishing Filter Settings.
*. Locate the large Settings text area> scroll to the bottom> Phishing Filter options.
*. Under Phishing Filter, choose the Disable Phishing Filter radio button option.
*. Click OK on the Internet Options window.

If you were troubleshooting an issue, repeat whatever steps caused your problem to see if disabling the Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7 has corrected it.
Reboot the computer and see if that handles the problem. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back