Problems with network connections in Network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new to this forum and need some help...

I am using Win2k at home on DSL with a static IP address. I will be using my computer from a relatives house off and on over the next few months and I'd like to set up a second network connection that can be configured to use ICS with another machine that is running WinXP. I have gotten the ICS to work by changing the IP address and DNS to "obtain automaticly" on my current network connection, but it will get old having to re-enter my IP address for my DSL connection 4 to 5 times a week. I was hoping I could set up 2 different connections and just disable the one that I don't need at the time.

Here's my problem. I got through the Connection Wizard to set up a new LAN connection and when I'm finished, nothing happens. I would try to "create a copy" of the one I do have, but the option is greyed out in the file menu. The wierdest thing is I can't delete the one I currently have and start from scratch. The delete option is greyed out from the right-click menu, and I swear I've done it before when I was first setting up my DSL connection.

I am using the Admin logon. I have NAV, Zone Alarm, and SpyBot installed, but I don't see any options that might be blocking me from modifying the network folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you absolutely have to set it to automatic? AFAIK the Windows ICS works with static IPs too.

You can add as many static IPs to a network adapter as you want. Just look in the advanced TCP/IP properties. Put in both your home IP and the IP you will be using in the ICS setup. You will need to specify two gateways also. And DNS servrs from both setups. And depending on the subnets used you may have to alter the routing table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back