Problems with new ATI Radeon x1300 Pro (AGP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just bought the new Radeon x1300 Pro. I previously had a Radeon 9200, so in order to play some of the newer games I felt it was time for an upgrade. I made sure my motherboard could support 8x, my cpu is fairly new, only about 2 or 3 years old. It is a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ processor, with 768mb of ram, and a GE 8IPE1000 Gigabyte Motherboard. Now when I remove all drivers and hardware of my previouse card then switch in the x1300 card, as soon as I boot up my cpu a pattern of pixels is the only thing I see. I can hear my cpu entering windows xp ect. but I can't see a thing. Just this screen of cream colour with dashed lines of pixels running vertically down the screen. The screen is fairly nice too, a flat panel LCD from Norquest. A friend at work suggested mabey the card is not seeded properly, but I made sure it was all the way in there. Also I realized there is an alternative power supply for the card, I did not hook this up, could that possibly fix this problem? I am going to try once I get home. The fan on the card starts running as soon as I boot up, so it is getting power, I thought that I'd at least see somthing. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I think(not sure though) that if your card was not getting enough power the fan would still start to spin, the card just wouldn't get enough power to do anything else. Can you tell us what kind of psu you're working with? Also, does the "alternative power supply" happen to be a multi-coloured 4 pin cable?

It's not an alternative power connector but an auxilliary power connector. It's not optional. It's required to run your graphics card. Plug it in and you should be good to go.

Awome thanks guys, Ill plug it in and see if that does the trick. I'll post back on here and let you all know.

Now we'll see you back in a few days posting about BSODs. Check your PSU and make sure it has enough overall watts and at least 22A amps on the 12volt rail. You can read this off the label on the side of the PSU.
This is an example of a bad PSU, note the low amps on the 12V rail.
label.jpg

Cheers.
PS. In my sig the BSOD link has a link to a PSU wattage calculator. It's very useful.

well I feel like a massive noob, anyways once I hooked up the cards other power supply things worked perfect, and I've been playing most of my games on maxed out settings with no problems what so ever. I can't wait to try Oblivion. Anyways this card improved my gaming experience by 6 times, I couldn't even play Battlefield 2 before due to errors with the 9200, now I can play it maxed out smooth as butter. Amazingness. Thanks again for helpin a noob.

Crappy...

Sorry to say this, but I also bought an ATI Radeon X1300 512MB PCI-E and this GPU is not meant for gaming....ATALL!!! I regret buying is as im a gamer, who know has to play in medium quality in all games....so return it while u can dude!!

This is a poor mans budget upgrade,

Very pointless,,, Games will run in slow motion like a vcr,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back