TechSpot

Problems with Speedtouch 330 modem

By Tom2001
Feb 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I signed up to Wanadoo Broadband but am having problems getting my Speedtouch 330 modem to work. I have installed the driver and Dr Speedtouch, plugged the Speedtouch 330 to my USB drive but I am unable to get any further.

When I hover my mouse over the Speedtouch diagnostics icon in the tool bar I am told the modem is not plugged in, which it quite clearly is. When I hover the mouse over the status icon (which has a red circle with an exclamation mark in it) I am told it is disconnected (i.e. the device is plugged in but not connected to the phone line, which is true). I then click on the status icon to bring up the status window, and click on the diagnostics button at the bottom of that window. I then start the test and am told there is a problem with my computer. I click troubleshoot and am told there is no device driver installed. Again this is not the case, and I have removed and reinstalled the driver numerous times.

The USB light on the modem is flashing red. The ADSL light is not on.

One thing I have noticed is that I do not get a "found new hardware" window pop up after I install the driver and plug the modem in, yet according to some of the literature about the Speedtouch 330 I have found on the internet this is supposed to happen. Is it possible there is something wrong with my Windows installation? The USB ports are working fine as I have tested other devices on them.

Wanadoo have suggested I download an updated driver from the Speedtouch website, which I have done and it hasn’t made any difference. They then suggested that maybe my chipset may need updating, although as I bought my computer brand-new in July (I think) I can’t see it being a chipset problem.

These are the technical specifications of my computer:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor with HyperTransport
    Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard

The modem was free so if a simpler solution would be to buy a new modem, by all means suggest it, as long as you can recommend one!
  2. bender1

bender1 TS Rookie

I have a Speedtouch 330 and have successfully connected it to 3 PC's running XP and 1 running Win98. I would suggest removing the Speedtouch software (via Add/Remove Programs) and to try re-installing the software from the CD. Make sure the modem isn't plugged into the USB port. If after re-connecting the modem you get the same reults I would strongly suspect a faulty modem and I would ask Wanadoo for a replacement. Why should you buy a new one? Alternatively, do you know anyone else on ADSL broadband who could lend you their modem to test?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.