Problems with updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazrim

Trying to update drivers for my BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1MB card. What I do is go into safe mode, delete the old drivers, then restart to install the new drivers I already have downloaded from the BFG site.

My Windows 7 - 64bit OS doesn't agree with this.

The 1st time I restarted my computer to install the new drivers, Windows 7 decided to not only go to the Microsoft website to find a driver FOR me, but it downloaded it and installed it! So I figured I could find the file it DL'ed, and I thought I did, and deleted it.

Every time I try the basic procedure to install my new drivers though, Windows installs the old driver before the desktop even comes up for me now, and I went so far as to disconnect my network cable from the system and performed the same procedure: Win 7 SOMEHOW has a copy of the old driver I can't seem to locate and installs it every time I restart the system.

I'm just about on the verge of lighting this system on fire - The old drivers lock up when playing D&DOnline, Team Fortress2, and WoW to name a few games, and for the OS to stubbornly INSIST that I use that driver's beyond utterly retarded.

Any suggestions before I break out the lighter fluid?

Reinstall te OS after formatting your HDD. Keep your network cable unplugged. At the last part of the installation the setup asks whether you want Windows to download all updates for you. Select the "Ask me later" option.

Then, once you boot up, just install your previously downloaded drivers.

Just in case, if you'd like to remove the driver installed by Windows, go into Device Manager and uninstall it.

If I uninstall the driver before going into safe mode, that could cause a registry issue where windows (or the card) still thinks the old driver is still being run, even with the new one installed. So simply going to programs and features won't work I thought without 1st rebooting into safe mode, THEN going to programs and features and uninstalling.

If that's what you meant, the problem still lies when I reboot again after uninstalling in safe mode.

If I uninstall the driver before going into safe mode, that could cause a registry issue where windows (or the card) still thinks the old driver is still being run, even with the new one installed. So simply going to programs and features won't work I thought without 1st rebooting into safe mode, THEN going to programs and features and uninstalling.

If that's what you meant, the problem still lies when I reboot again after uninstalling in safe mode.
I think there's a few different issues involved here. So first to clarify
  1. It's perfectly OK to uninstall using Control Panel->Programs and Features when you're booted normally (i.e. you don't need to be in safe mode)
  2. Uninstalling an entry listed in Programs and Features (P&F) will uninstall that entry's application software as well as any accompanying driver it installed
    ==> So you;d want to look for your sound and video stuff in P&F as both sound and audio typically get installed as both application software plus drivers
  3. Also, understand, there are certain drivers which will always be reinstalled automatically for you upon reboot (e.g. generic drivers for USB and video, if needed)
  4. So i suggest (while you're booted in normal mode)
    • Look through the items in P&F and uninstall any sound card and video card stuff if you see it listed there
    • Then go ahead and install your drivers (and start with the chipset drivers for your m/b)

Well I tried to uninstall from P&F and then installing the drivers I needed.

I double and triple checked that the driver I had DL'ed was the Windows 7 - 64 bit version.

I now get a msg every time I attempt to install it saying "Installet cannot find compatible drivers for your version of Windows. Installer will now close."

I got a window after that giving me an option to attempt to install again using different settings, but I get the same result every time. Upon rebooting, Windows reverts back to my old Nvidia driver.

Now I'm getting flickering and blackouts of my screen while playing games, and I bluescreened for the 1st time today.

This day can't possibly get any worse.

Try the following

First, see if Windows will find a better driver

> Open Device Manager
> Look for your graphics card listed in Dev Mgr
===> It may have a yellow icon in the Device Manager display
===> It'll probably be under either Display Adapters or might be listed as Other Device
> Rt click it, select Update Driver. When prompted, allow Windows to search the internet for the driver

If the problem remains
Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back