TechSpot

Problems with Wifi

1. I am sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find a post that relates to mine.

I have been using both my Wifi and an Ethernet connection from my router for 4 months now (wifi to ps4 and phone, Ethernet to laptop). Recently, the Wifi is not turning on at all. I cannot find it on any of my devices and neither of the 2ghz and 5ghz lights are flashing anymore. I have tried restarting the router several times but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have not seen any difference to my Ethernet connection since this has happened. I have occasionally used a plug in socket booster so that I could provide an Ethernet connection to my ps4 (located 8m from the router) but this has since stopped working too! I am not very proficient with computers and I'm sure there are easy fixes but any help would be much appreciated.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,315   +618

Unplug the AC from the router and let it sit for a minute or two and then restart it.
    Most routers with WiFi have a light to show it is active, sometimes it is BLUE. look for it.

3. Mitchell Allain

Mitchell Allain TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the response, I had tried restarting it as you said with no success. The reset button would not work and so for some reason I just held three buttons down for above 10 seconds and the lights started to flicker. I then held on for a further 20 seconds and the lights came on permanently. No idea what this did but all sorted now :) the router is a technicolor TG589vac for anyone who gets the same problem!

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,315   +618

You effectively performed RESET. *PLEASE* login and at least
    1. disable remote administration
    2. change the ADMIN password
    without these, you're dancing naked in front of the Internet