Problems with wireless network adapter

To start off, my laptop is an Asus G75VW-AS71. The wireless network adapter is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

The issue I'm having only starts when I play an online game. It's not a specific one, it happens with all my games. After about a few matches, I will begin to experience terrible lag spikes. (Ranging from 300-500 ms, sometimes even going up to over 2000) Usually the spikes are permanent. I will jump to around 300 ping, and hover in that general number, with it occasionally sliding back down to my normal 82, only to immediately spring back up again. After this begins to happen, any application I use that uses internet (internet browser, skype, etc) also lags/is severely slowed down.

This lag is never experienced on any other system using our wireless internet, which makes me believe it is in fact my laptop's wireless adapter that is the problem.

Doing a windows troubleshoot on the adapter DOES fix it, but it only fixes it for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then I begin to lag again. Also, the troubleshooter seems to only be able to fix it once. If I try to troubleshoot the adapter again after already fixing it before that way, the troubleshooter will tell me that it couldn't find anything wrong.

Manually restarting the adapter only works once as well. Restarting the computer does not help the problem.
If the laptop is shut down for a few hours and started back up, the adapter will work properly as long as I do not start a game.

Could anyone help tell me how to stop this from happening? Do I need to get a new adapter or is there something I can do for the current one?

Are you sure it is not an issue with your router? Also I dont know where to get Atheros drivers other than from the manufacturer (vaio, lenovo, etc) website. There are no official drivers

I'm sure. Any other system (another laptop, PS3, Xbox) never lag when using the wireless. When my internet is being incredibly laggy on my laptop, it is fine on all the other systems I have.

Ide check the router,,,try hooking up Ethernet wire and then playing,,,see it that works,,,then its the router

Make sure Wi-Fi is shut off

Hi, wow a Asus G75VW-AS71. Never thought a gaming notebook can have this kind of problems. Is this a general problem with Asus G75VW-AS71? Or just bad luck of you? Glad to hear that you've fixed it.

I think it was just bad luck for me. The adapter worked fine for the 8 months I had it. Then it just suddenly started having problems. My laptop is still under warranty, so I could've sent it in for Asus to replace, but I am in college and my laptop is my life line to school work, so I couldn't afford sending it in for however long they would take to fix it.

Is no bad luck, I have a ASUS laptop too and have the same problem, I have been searching on forums about the problem, and it is a bad Network adapter they put on them. hahahah I hope it helps. It would be good that Chelsea24 would post where you found your replacement.

FYI, for anyone still having issues with Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Problem fixed:
Don't use 802.11n, instead use 802.11g
If problem continues, may need to disable IPV6

FYI, for anyone still having issues with Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Problem fixed:
Don't use 802.11n, instead use 802.11g
If problem continues, may need to disable IPV6
Wow, thanks a lot! It works for me.

Back