Probs with kt-4 ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

last christmas i bought a mobo bundle from savastore.co.uk a 2100+, 256mb ram 333mhz, and a kt-4 ultra. i put it in a case (dunno witch) with a western digital 40gb 7200rpm hdd a cdrw and a dvd and a geforce4mx 440 (this is my first pc i've built so don't mind the strange things i do) ever since i've built it, it has crashed. :D. even on defaults. i change the virtual memory in windows to 4gb, thinking it would give me a performence boost but it worked for a while then it started to crash al the time. but i checkt it with a friend and put it to the same as his and it hasn't crashed but when i but the fsb to 133mhz it crashes after a while(windows or the game just freezes and the only way to get it working again is to reset) so i now have to put my fsb on 100mhz (1500+) and then it doesnt crash. my system temp.is 35 C idle and 39C gaming but my cpu temp @ 50C when idle and 54C gaming, so i dont think thats the problem. i'm thinking of ugrading my system this summer so i would like to know what i could do about it. athor whiles i will have to get a new motherboard and wont be able to upgrade my system.

msi

provides you with their live update software to do that, but the mobo you have should handle a 2100+....flashing to acoomodate higher mhz processors is an option....you have a 266 fsb processor.......so the bios timings need to be correct.......133 should be correct....as should your dram timings, agp setting, etc.

Originally posted by Dantrag
could anyone tell me how to flash my bios

The way how you flash your bios depends on the BIOS software manufacturer which is either AWARD or AMI.
Details on how to flash an AWARD or AMI BIOS can be found in this page

no, man

just check that the timings are correct.......and, let the system manage virtual memory..........don't f#@# around with that bios, or your toast......wait until you know, absolutely, what you are doing........as i mentioned, your processor shouldn't pose a problem........just make sure all the timings, in the bios, are correct ( a little redundancy to hammer home my point :knock: )

when i put them right my pc crashes after a while when, it doesnt crash when the fsb is on 100mhz i've update my bios and drivers and it still doesnt help

btw it should work on defaults but the fsb has to be change to 133mhz but thats the only thing i change then it crashes..... so i put the fsb on 100mhz and it doesnt crash i have no idea what it could be. could it be my psu (tybothec 300w (300-x)

I have a KT4 and an Athlon XP 2000. I got the same problem. Swapped PSU, GFX Card, Reformatted, Flashed bios... all stuff.

I swapped my cheapo 512 ddr ram with one of Crucial and never had more problems. Maybe you should try that. Of course, theres a program called memtest86 that will check your memory from start to finish and tell you if it's okay. You should run that program instead of going directly to spend money on RAM.

you can download it at http://www.memtest86.com/ .
There are various options to download. I recomment you download the ISO image, and burn it to a cd with NERO or similar. Then you just have to put that cd in your drive, and it'll start the test automatically when you reboot. If it doesn't, then change the boot order in the bios.

Have Luck!

do i need to get the latest version or do i have to keep the same version? sorry if i ask stupid questions but i'm new to this

Before you take extreme measures like flashing your BIOS, I'd sugest reseting the CMOS and starting all over again with safe values.

If you have problem with the current version get the newest version. By the way, had you followed the instructions from the web link that i have given you in the previous post? It is very important that you don't mess up your BIOS chip.

Good, try to avoid flashing from hard disk drive, it causes harm to your BIOS and may corrupt it. Its a good thing that you flashing using a floppy.

I still think it may be your memory. If your bios didn't support your processor it just wouldn't boot. And the cause of your system not running at 133 fsb is your memory, it's just not handling ok that speed.

Plus, as I told you, I made all thing with that board, and it only worked okay when I took out the the unbranded memory and put in some Crucial.

Plus, I have the board's manual in front of me and states "Supports up to 2800+ and higher speed". BTW, my board is Version 1.2.

My system specs are AMD Athlon XP2800+, the KT4 Ultra, 512 Crucial 266Mhz DDR ram, ATI Radeon 8500, 2x IBM 80bg 75GXP HDD's, Samsung 40x12x40 CD-RW, Sound Blaster Live 5.1, 2x 3COM 3905B-TX nic's.

Maybe you should give it a try and exchange memory with some friend's... Better than risking with a flash.

i will but i'm leaving thursday to england
and i'll be there for 4 weeks so i wont be able to use my computer in belgium i've got a 1.5ghz p4 in england so its ok ;) i'll try to ask a friend but i'm buying 512mb ram and a 9500 pro in august , it's my birthdat ;)

i've used my friends ram and it works no crashing with fsb on 133:D. when i'm back (the end of august) i'll post how my upgrade whent on this thread. a 9500pro 512 ram pc2700. beats geforce4mx440 and 256 ram pc2700 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back