Processor compatibility

Good morning everyone,

I currently own a Song VGN-AR88E Laptop. It is starting to get a little slow, doesnt play some games as nicely as I would like. The laptops I have been looking at to replace it are around the £1000 mark so I was thinking of the possibility of upgrading it.

I have had a nose around and this is the spec of the laptop that I have managed to find.

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual T2390 @ 1.86GHz
Memory: 2046MB Ram
Graphics: GeForce 8400M GT Approx. Total Memory 880MB Adapter RAM 128MB
Chipset: Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset

One of the games that I tried playing was BFBC2, which requires: Intel Core Duo 2.06GHz, 2046MB Ram, and 256MB Video Card (Not sure what that means).

Anyway, I appreciate this is a lot of writing, but so far this is what I am stuck on..

1) I KNOW that I can upgrade the RAM to 4GB, but do not think this will make any difference with the rest of the components

2) Will the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz be compatible with my system?

3) Is it necessary for me to upgrade the graphics card? It does appear that it is not adequate, and if so how would I go about determining a compatible card?

EDIT: Or are the graphics integrated to the motherboard, in which case they cannot be upgraded?

I appreciate there are a lot of questions here, but it is my first time at upgrading a computer.

Kind regards

Mike

Most laptops use integrated graphics, so its unlikely yours will be replaceable with something better. The CPU may of course not work either, it depends on whether it was sold with your motherboard and that CPU as to whether it will work - There are other factors, but I tend to take the approach of it working if its been done already by the manufacturer.

Upgrading your RAM will boost overall performance, but you won't really see any improvement in game.

My advice would be to replace the laptop. You could probably sell this one and use it against the cost of a new one.

Thanks for your quick response, I understand where you are coming from, and also the cost of any components will soon mount up.

I have been looking at other Sony replacement laptops and also Dell, are there any brands that I should be looking at/staying away from?

I highly recommend Dell (I've have loads from Dell), but I also recommend Sony (having owned one previously).

I don't recommend HP Compaq/Packard Bell or any combination of those names - Every one I've had has been trouble.

My suggestion would be to set a budget, then find 2-3 you like in that budget, and then link them here and ask for advice on which we'd choose, and why. :)

As I currently have Sony I do like the quality, most of the electronic items I have owned have indeed been from them.

Also just a quick note, but I intend on keeping this for a few years so the build quality does have to be good, due to my job it will also be taken onboard ship.

(1) Dell XPS 15

Personalised to:
i7 740QM 1.73GHz, 6144MB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HDD, 2GB GeForce GT 435M
£869

(2) Sony EE 15"

AMD Phenom™ II Triple-Core Processor P840 1.9GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5145 Graphics
£638.29

(3)Sony EA 15"

Personalised to:
i5 460M, 2.53GHz, 500GB HDD, 6GB RAM, ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
£738.99

I did try adding links but it says that I require at least 5 posts

Personally, if your budget stretches that far, I would be going with the Dell system, but I'm unsure how the CPU would compare to your third one, with the i5 460m, which has a higher clock speed.

Either one or three would be good. From personal experience I wouldn't even consider two, due to the CPU and the GPU.

Let others pitch in with their thoughts before making a decision though.

Back