Processor cooling

Neji49

I've just installed a new processor my friend gave me, Intel Pentium Dual Core E6700. It's clocked at 3.2ghz and (obviously) dual core. However, I only had the stock fan/heatsink from my older processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E6400). Now when I run my computer, my fan is extremely loud and the processor runs between mid 40s to low 50s at idle. When I tried playing Crysis 2, it shot up to 75 C. I'm assuming this is unsafe, but not sure how to deal with it. Here is what I am thinking. Could I get some feedback?

1. The E6400 stock cooling setup isn't enough for the stronger 6700. If this is the case I'll need to get an aftermarket cooler. Does anybody have reccomendations for one that isn't too expensive? I don't need to be silent, but tolerable at least(now mine sounds like a jet engine...)

2. I didn't have any thermal paste at the time, so i just put the processor in and put the fan. Will applying some help at all? Do I need to try a certain variant?

Thanks in advance!

You need thermal paste for proper heat transfer, thats is probably why it's so high. You could grab some arctic silver 5 from a lot of PC stores out their, it's good paste and easy to apply.

Reapply the thermal paste and see the result. If the problem is still persist it is better not to overclock the cpu. However get a new aftermarket cooler is always the best choice.

take a look at the Xigmatek LOKI CPU air cooler, it comes with thermal paste and performs better then the stock Intel heat sink any day. if you are overclocking you should definitely consider an after-market CPU cooler. and as stated already, thermal paste is absolutely necessary, no go without it.

Back