Processor+integrated graphics clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffe

Ok so im replacing my integrated graphics card with a non-integrated. Is the processor built into the graphics on the motherboard or is it it's own thing?
Im just curious cuz I dont wanna be all happy and dandy and install something and it ends up im gonna need way more pieces to buy. I'm merely just upgrading the power supply and the graphics card is all. Help would be appreciated!
Also I Heard something about the bios setttings automatically turning the integrated off? If that does that will it turn my processor off as well?
Sorry for all the confusion and thank you.

copmuter at manufactuer's website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03135882#N412

New Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130664

Hi, First make sure that you can actually fit a graphics card into your pc, you will need a spare PCI-express slot.
Have a look at the photo on this page. The PCI-express graphics slot is 'B' and the processor is 'G'.
The processor will have a large fan on top of it so you can't see it when it's built.
http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/motherboard-diagram.html

The BIOS can have a few options regarding graphic cards. But if there is an option to detect a separate graphic card in a PCI-express slot, it may be called 'Auto'. So you will need to look in the 'Integrated peripherals' section for that.
If you are not sure about BIOS settings, best to find out more info about yours, as you could make your pc difficult to use with the wrong settings.
Also if you buy a graphics card as in your link, note that it has DVI outputs, so you will need to buy a DVI monitor cable, and your monitor must have a DVI (cream or white) input, near to the blue VGA input you will be using up till now.
Another way is to look for a Graphic card with both VGA (blue) and DVI (white) outputs, so you have two options.

Im currently using DVI so that issue is solved.
My main issue is if the card can plain old fit in the slot itself.
I just recently popped open my case and apparently I cant remove the psu from my own means. Mayve ill have to get in on the other side of the case because it feels like it is being stuck in by something.

My main issue is if the card can plain old fit in the slot itself.
Looking inside the case what is the longest card you can place in the PCIe x16 card slot? The card you are looking to purchase is about 8.5 inches long. You will need at least 8.5 inches of clearance for the card to fit inside the case.

As for the power supply I have seen additional screws on the top and sides as well as the back. I've also seen tabs that require a slight bit of pressure in order to unlock a slider holding the power supply.

I already have all the stuff needed purchased. But as of now im thinking of just bringing it to a tech store and let them have at it tbh. I'm not so experienced in this field. Dont wanna damage anything and have to pay for replacements.

The labour at an IT store will cost quite a bit... there's plenty of videos on youtube on changing PSUs and GPUs, try looking at those first. There are quite a few connections which you have to be sure of when changing the PSU, if in doubt then take pictures of everything which is connected to the PSU before you unplug them.

I know how to take the psu out in general (the four screws). But when all that is done, it still won't come out. It feels like it just won't come out. Like there is a screw I cannot get to holding it into. I tried giving it force after all four were removed but nada. It wouldnt budge. My buddy that helped said there was probably something holding it in like another screw we couldn't get to. So I just assumed we needed someone with the right tools and a knowhow of what they were doing to help.

Waffe, you have two threads on similar subjects. Closing this second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back