TechSpot

Processor speed lower than it should be

By cragwin
Jun 4, 2007
  1. i just put in a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU Barton 512K 333FSB Socket A 462 into my system but on the startup page it says its running on 1100+ and had something saying i cud change the cpu speed by going into bios settings but i have no idea how to do it.

any ideas?

2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

If you know what model your motherboard is, please post it here.

Otherwise, download CPU-Z from here.

Click on the Mainboard tab.

Post here whatever it says in that section.

Regards :)

3. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

I've have my barton 2500+ running at 3.2GHz since day one 2 yearsago. Still runing fine now. I just upped the multiplier and fsb in the bios.

4. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

From memory, the 2500 Barton ran at 1840MHz stock.

As long as you have DDR400 (PC3200) RAM, try upping the FSB to 200.

99% of 2500's will operate at that speed - basically it's a 3200+ now.

To keep at std speed, the FSB should be at 166MHz.

You could also try seeing if your BIOS has "Load Optimised Defaults". That should hopefully recognise & set the speeds to standard.

5. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

it sounds like you have an Althon XP-M, not just a plain Athlon XP.

the XP-M was a mobile version (for laptops), it's multipliers were unlocked. often times when installed in a desktop computer/motherboard it will default to the lowest multiplier (in your case, resulting in the CPU being recognized as an 1100+

if your motherboard allows CPU multiplier adjustment then it's an easy fix, but not all motherboards support overclocking. what model motherboard do you have?

:confused:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.