Processor upgrade?

winterwolf1223

Hey guys,

I have a Compaq laptop: CQ60-202US
Current Specs:

2.10 GHz AMD Sempron SI-42 Processor
4096MB RAM
Running on Windows 7

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the CPU?? Maybe have an AMD duo core CPU or even a quad core (pretty sure quad is impossible). Any recommendations for a CPU upgrade?

Another question i have is if i get a new duo core CPU wil it be compatible? Because I know dell locks their computers so that you are limited to only a few CPUs....Is that true here?

Thanks guys!!!

You potential CPU upgrade would most likely be limited to whatever Compac has shipped in the same basic model machine. As to whether it's worth it to try, that's anybody's guess.

It might be "possible," but might not be "worth it." Laptops are generally limited in terms of CPU upgrades.

The Sempron SI-42 is single core and fits a Socket S1, more specifically the Socket "S1G1." The following page on Wikipedia suggests there are some potential upgrades for that socket, however, I couldn't guarantee they would work based on voltage requirements/compatibility with the motherboard/etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Turion_microprocessors#.22Lion.22_.2865_nm.29

Socket S1G1 is a strange beast. You would need to locate a CPU with the same exact thermal envelope, Hypertransport and wattage. Not only that, you would need an S1G1 chip that supports DDR3 as I'm sure thats what is in your system. Personally I believe any CPU that you could upgrade to wouldn't give you much of a performance boost. Grab an SSD and keep windows 7 clean and that little machine will scream.

Back