Product key for XP Install

As mentioned in another Thread "FILE RECOVERY", I'm trying to reinstall XP on my friends PC. This PC was built by a friend of his some years ago, and he has since died. My friend never got any Install discs from his friend.

I've got XP installed using my Install disc, but now it's looking for the 25 character product key for XP. I tried using mine but it said it was invalid.

Any suggestions as to how I can input a product key. I'm getting a message that system will run for 30 days, but I've got to activate XP somehow.

This is the best, "the dog ate my COA sticker story ever"! Somebody died and didn't will you the recovery discs! ROFLMAO

And where I prithee tell me is this all capital letters thread, "FILE RECOVERY"? You need to link something like that, to save having to search the site for it.

From this page; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html download this version of "SIW" :
SIW Without Installer (English-Only)

This will give you the Windows license key. At least if you click on "Software" > "licenses", it will. The trouble is, I don't know if it will tell you the key that's supposed to be there, or the key that actually is. The expected product key is written to "C:/", so you might luck out. Anyway, it's worth a shot. That's all I know.

Sorry for offending you, but I put the name in caps so it would be easier to find I thought. Don't know how to apply a link to the subject.

As for the man who built the system, I have no reason not to beleive my friend, as I've only known him for a few years, and he seems to be an honest guy.

Thanks for supplying me with a link to try.

Joe

And on this note, I'm also locking this thread before it turns into a "how do I get past activation" thread.

If you cannot find the product key you will have to purchase another one unfortunately.

Back