Programming Forum/Sub-Forum?

By cfitzarl
Jul 9, 2008
Post New Reply
  1. Just a suggestion ;)

I know that many of the users at this forum do have some knowledge of either computer programming, or web programming....so I thought that it might be a good idea to set up a sub-forum and/or forum for this so that we can exchange coding, ask questions, show tutorials (I have made some on PHP), etc.

I say sub-forum since it would take a while to fill up a normal forum...and it it were to become big enough, then you could make it a full forum :p .
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,510   +308

We tried it a few years ago (?) with limited success but who knows... a sub-forum within the Software & Utilities forum might not be a bad idea at all.
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

Ok :)

I've only been here for 2 years, so I wasn't around for the first time around ^_^
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

As I pointed out last time around, there's such a large set of languages and environments
    (including a matrix for OS, platforms, client/server, + web programming)
    that it would require several levels of subforums just to local the correct subject area.
    An example of the problem can be seen in Newsgroups comp.* -- several hundred exist.

As a programmer, this is interesting, but the great part of T.S. is the site is
    well focused and well supported for PC/Windows -- heck, even Mac OS X and Linux forums are limited in participation.
    (imo) It's better to do well in a specific area than to be so broad as to be a marshmellow of little value.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

Count me in too... I'll always be a programmer, you never loose that skill as that's how I got into this stuff way, way, way back.. Okay COBOL IBM Keypunch cards.. ! :)
  6. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TechSpot Member Posts: 86

I've asked this same question some time ago. I am a programmer as well and would like to see such forums on TS.

Either way it plays out, I'll enjoy this site!

Happy coding everyone!
  7. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

Thanks for all of your opinions :)

Java and Visual Basic next year in Computer Science class :D
  8. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TechSpot Member Posts: 86

Lucky! :)

Right on...Good luck!

I want to go back to school but don't have time. :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.