Programs do not use much RAM?

realbaz

Programs do not use much RAM? [SOLVED]

EDIT: SOLVED
My programs do not use as much ram as i would like them to. For example Mafia 2 when running only uses 800Mb out of 4gb ( around 2400 available.) It is also the case for allmost every memory-intensive program, i am running in 32 bit. would switching to x64 help? or is there a software or tweak available to help ? Any advice is much appreciated.

You cna download a program called "Cleanmem" that will go throught he programs in the taskmanager and work out what programs are not currently being used and reduce the memory usage that they are using and INCREASE the memeory for programs that are running but to be honest if you are not seeing a lag in your program it should be fine.

If you have 2400Mb of memory availabel and its only using 800Mb then the program only requires that memory to run properly. As long as you have free memeory then if the program requires more emmeory if will use it.

Cleanmem is a free program.

Your programs will use as much ram as they need.

If your OS is reporting back the full 4gb of ram you are pretty much good to go.

You could try turning off your page file to increase your ram usage, but this can cause problems with some software.

All in all i would not worry about it .

I've used vista 32/64, along with the win 7 versions. 4gb of ram behave differently in a 32 bit os compared to its 64 bit counterpart. If its not too much trouble install the 64 bit version of your os. But uhh, not xp 64 though. If you have a more current os available, otherwise you're sol. You're running xp 32 bit with 4 gbs of ram. 1gb is basically sitting idle.

Just seen your updated system specs and considering your have 1Gb RAM and 800Mb is being used by one app maybe its time for an upgrade. 1Gb sticks or even 2Gb sticks can be bought fairly cheeply these days.

james

Back