Programs in Task Manager suddenly running as 32-bit

By herrenfam
Oct 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Two days ago, I downloaded a freeware program called free video converter from a website called dvdvideosoft.com. They had no negative pages on Google about their company or the product, so I downloaded the file and used it to convert a mp4 video to an iphone-compatible video.

Then I noticed some strange things happening. My Firefox browser settings changed (orange Firefox box was missing, File Menu Bar was in its place, every time I would open up the browser I would get a tab without a close button saying that my search couldn't find "postit") Then, about 15 programs, including firefox, itunes, and explorer, started running as 32-bit. I know this has never happened before because I've looked at the Task Manager plenty of times in the four weeks I've had this computer and never seen "iTunes.exe *32".

Then, this morning, my computer was in sleep mode, and it wouldn't resume windows. I'd get the initial boot screen, but then it would freeze on a black screen before the "resuming windows" screen could appear. I tried turning off and turning on the computer several times, and eventually did a systems diagnostic check and a BIOS restore and got the computer to boot up properly.

I installed and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Avast anti-virus programs, neither which found anything wrong with the computer. I restored the computer to a system restore point that was set the day before I downloaded this program. I uninstalled and reinstalled the firefox browser a couple of times and finally did get that to work.

What would suddenly cause my four week-old computer (from Dell) to suddenly start running almost all the programs as 32-bit instead of 64-bit, and how can I fix this? How can I ensure that I don't have any type of malicious program on my laptop that is causing all of these new mysterious issues?

Thanks for reading and all your help.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,030   +222

And your version of Windows is ???
  3. herrenfam

herrenfam Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Oh, duh! Sorry about leaving that out. I run windows 7 home premium 64-bit, SP 1

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.