Programs not working on start up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKLfarhang

Well, sometimes when my computer starts up, none of the programs work.
I can only open folders, but no files or programs.
Even the task manager doesn't show up with Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Even tried typing 'taskmgr' in Start > Run. But got nothing.
AND the computer doesn't even shut down. It just gets stuck in the Shutting Down screen.

When I try to open files or run programs or shut down, nothing happens. Nothing at all.
The only thing I can do it turn the power off and on again and hope it works.

At first I thought it happens because of not shutting down properly (power cuts). But then I noticed it happens even when I shut down properly.

I don't want to act like a patient diagnosing himself, but I think my processes don't start up properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: You know the 'Windows Updates' icon that appears in the system tray on start up? It doesn't show up sometimes. And I noticed that the programs work properly when 'Windows Updates' icon shows up. When it doesn't appear on start up, thats when the programs don't work.
The other icons (AVG, ATI Graphics Controller) always show up.
Don't know if that will help, but just thought you might want to know.

Have Windows XP installed, Pentium 4, 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM.

Well I believe from what you have said, your computer might be infected by a virus the common clue is the taskmanager not showing up. It denies all possible utility of windows to kill or stop it. Or maybe some possibilities of corruption of your OS (you may try formatting it or repairing it). But my prediction it is infected try resorting to other anti-virus and set a full scan for your system.

1) How long do you wait for your computer to startup? I mean does this problem occur whether it's 3 minutes after starting or even 10 minutes after starting? (just to be certain it's not something like AVG8 which can be VERY RESOURCE hungry / slower to start on some older machines

2) Tho is still a good idea to be cautious and, per engadgeteer's suggestion, scan for viruses. Click here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions Follow the proven steps there and request help in the virus/malware forum

Its not like it happens every time.
It happens randomly like 6 out of 10 times on start up.
I mean if its a virus/malware/spyware shouldn't it be permanent?

The behavior you describe shouldn't happen at all! And it's happening 60% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back