Programs stop responding after several minutes then referenced memory error

By devdeathray
Aug 31, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone,

I had been having problems opening windows media player for a while. If I tried the prog would open then freeze. If I tried to open another program or access the start menu, nothing would happen. I couldn't figure out what the issue was so I simply stopped using it.

After a while, I noticed that the same problem would occur if I tried to plug in my droid via usb. Then it happened when I put in a usb flash drive. And now it happens mere minutes after my computer boots, every single time no matter what.

I will be able to work for around three minutes (longer if I log in as admin) before a program I'm using stops responding. If I allow the system to run it'll chug along for a good 20 min then return this error:

The instruction at 0x741e5929 referenced memory at (same # as before). The required data was not placed into memory because of an i/o error.

I tried to boot in safe mode to see if the problem was caused by an autorun prog, but it gets to windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys and then halts forever.

I have run the memory test, I have used two different progs to scan the registry. Both to no avail. Ccleaner scanned the registry and repaired errors w/o a hitch. Eusing free registry cleaner got most of the way through the scan and stopped on none other than software/microsoft/windows media player nss/3.0/devices/00-00-00-00-00-00.

One last thing, while I was trying to DL a driver to my usb, I received a pop up saying something along the lines of "windows media player has encounter problem and will shut down", but I didn't have it running...

Thanks!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.