TechSpot

Programs won't open, ctrl-alt-del won't work

By Malavin
Aug 4, 2009
  1. Okay, so some time in the past few days I'm guessing I contracted some kind of virus. I started up my computer and I went to click on Firefox. The icon just disappeared. I then decided to try ctrl-alt-delete to check processes or something. Nothing happened. I basically can't do anything, even clicking shut down in the start menu does nothing. After I log on to the computer all I can really do is stare at the desktop. I have no clue what to do, your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Can you start up by depressing the <F8> key to go into <SAFE MODE>. You will get a low resolution screen, but that will allow you to run a scan with spyware... which is what we believe to be the problem?
    If you do not have good spyware and Antivirus software on your computer, download Avast or Avira antivirus, and SuperAntiSpyware as well as Malware bytes to a USB flash drive. Then use the flash drive to install them to your computer and run their scans.

3. Kotu2

Kotu2 TS Rookie Posts: 78

download malware bytes if it doesn't let you open it then use this to confuse it
    (click the word this or go to this link: http://kixhelp.com/wr/files/mb/randmbam.exe to download it)
    after you download it just open it and it will run malware bytes.

4. Malavin

Malavin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay, I'm running a full scan with malware bytes right now in safe mode. I'll try to update this when it is done.

5. Kotu2

okay .. so just tell me if it worked if not we'll try another approach..

6. Malavin

Malavin TS Rookie Topic Starter

That seemed to do it. Thank you so much for the help!

7. Kotu2

no problem

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.