Project Fiona gets official as Razer Edge, coming this quarter for $999

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Project Fiona, the prototype portable gaming device that wowed CES attendees last year, is back yet again. This time around, however, it’s being showcased as a real product known as the Razer Edge that can be yours later this quarter for under a grand.

Razer is billing the 10.1-inch, sub 2-pound machine as the world’s first tablet designed exclusively for high-end gaming with a base model and a performance-boosted Pro model in the pipeline. The former will ship with an Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of system memory, a 64GB solid state drive and a discrete Nvidia GT640M LE GPU.

razer edge razer

The Pro edition will come with an Intel Core i7 chip, 8GB of RAM and either a 128GB or 256GB SSD. The GPU will remain the same between the two models, we’re told. Furthermore, both versions will carry a USB 3.0 port, Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and run a full version of Windows 8. The latter means that games can be run on the system just as they would any other Windows PC without the need for porting or optimizing.

razer edge razer

Aside from being a serious gaming tablet in terms of hardware specifications, Razer is also giving gamers multiple options when it comes to how they want to interact with the Edge. There’s tablet mode which is pretty self-explanatory; Keyboard Dock mode which essentially turns the Edge into a notebook so you can use a keyboard and mouse; Gamepad Controller mode which is the configuration you’ve mostly likely seen it in with controls on either side of the tablet and Docking Station mode which effectively turns the Edge into a home console.

Look for the Razer Edge to hit retail sometime this quarter starting at $999 for the base model with no accessories. Pricing for the Pro version with the 128GB SSD is $1,299 while the i7 with a 256GB SSD will set you back $1,449.

Permalink to story.

Great idea, but seems like a pretty high price point for gaming hardware dependent on a mediocre (at best) GPU... Plus it being ala carte, with all of the expansion options adding even more to your financial pain...

I know Razer is tied very tightly with Intel, but I have to wonder how an AMD APU+GPU combination would affect price & performance for a product like this.

Would a Core i7 and some extra ram really improve performance with that GPU?

The Pro version should have come with a better GPU, the difference in games between the i5 and i7 isn't huge when gaming with a decent graphics that's not bottlenecking it, but in this case I would assume it would have no impact at all?

Would a Core i7 and some extra ram really improve performance with that GPU?

The Pro version should have come with a better GPU, the difference in games between the i5 and i7 isn't huge when gaming with a decent graphics that's not bottlenecking it, but in this case I would assume it would have no impact at all?

Correct it will have no impact on gaming performance at all.

It's probably a dual-core i5 and a quad-core i7.

..Actually, that makes sense. No, it's probably a dual-core i5 and dual-core i7.

You know, I think it would have made more sense to use trinity and make this cheaper. and more efficient. but whatever.

I prefer performance over efficiency. The problem with tablets and portable gaming consoles that are cheaper - efficient - economic is that they just cant compete with desktop pc gaming.

I agree with the processor idea though. sacrifice the i7 for the i5 and give it extra juice through more Ram and a better GPU. (I have a GTX560 Ti 448 core, 8Gb Ram and a Phenom 2 quad core processor - This can run Battlefield 3 at high to ultra settings)

There is no mention to the resolution of the screen either. Will it be 720p or 1080p?

Finally, will this device be upradable? It will be well worth the £800 ish price tag if I know I can upgrade the Ram and SSD if needed

Well I do to when it comes to desktops, but on a gaming TABLET its pretty important to have OK battery life. they could give this thing an a10-5800K which can run BF3 on medium-little bit high settings, and sell it for 500, and I would buy. But whatever, never going to pay 1000 for any tablet unless its a convertible laptop with fantastic specs.

Finally, will this device be upradable? It will be well worth the £800 ish price tag if I know I can upgrade the Ram and SSD if needed

If this thing has user-serviceable RAM slots and a SATA interface, I'll be surprised. It would be a first in such a thin form factor.

Just looking at the benchmarks the a10-4600m would have been just slightly less powerful then the 640m lm, but has the same CPU power as the ULV i7 that would be in this thing, and still end up using less power, plus the LV a10 is just down clocked, same GPU just everything is lower clocked, could have been a lot more affordable, but then again razer and affordable never really go together in my mind, maybe another company will pick up on this and use AMD where there strong suite is.

Back