Promise S-ATA no devices found BIOS not installed MSI NEO 875p

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzs

Hello,

when booting I receive the following message:

No devices found, no BIOS installed.

This error message appears even without XP installed, so one would suggest it is a BIOS setting, but I can't solve it.

So here is my situation:

- MSI 875P Neo-FISR (PCB 2.0) mainboard with A6758 BIOS version
- 2 harddisks on Primary and secondary harddisk controller, with DVD players as slave
- On the third IDE controller 2 IDE HDD's
- 1 S-ATA drive on the Promise controller

BIOS settings:

Integrated Peripherals:

- On board Promise IDE = as S-ATA

On Chip IDE configuration:

- P-ATA only
- S-ATA keep enabled = NO (wouldn't know what this means)
- P-ATA channel selection = Both - S-ATA ports defintion: P0-4th/ P1-3rd (standard setting)
- Config as RAID = NO

Also I have the Promise drivers installed within XP, a WinXP Promise378 SATA IDE controller is being recognized. Did a fresh install of XP including installing the WinXP Promise378 SATA drivers from a floppy disk by hitting F6

What I am wondering now is:

Is it true the Promise controll controls the 3rd IDE controller as well as the S-ATA HDD? And if so can someone please tell what would be the correct settings in the BIOS when having 2 IDE HDD's connnected to the third IDE controller and 1 S-ATA disk on the Promise controller?

Because the strange thing only 1 IDE HDD of the 3rd IDE controller is being recognized by XP, the other IDE HDD and S-ATA not.

Hope you can help me out, 'cause I'm totally lost :-(

You have two separate controllers,the message is saying that no devices are attached to the Promise controller.The manual I looked had no mention of the Promise controller,so I'm taking this info off of the 875P Neo Series specs.Hopefully your manual has the correct info,all the connectors should be colour coded.

The Intel controller has 2 SATA ports(use these first)and 2 IDE ports,the IDE ports are only ATA100 ports,use these for the optical drives.

The Promise controller has 2 SATA ports and 2 IDE ports,these IDE ports are ATA133,use these to connect the IDE hard drives.

In the BIOS you need to have the ATA configuration=PATA+SATA,SATA keep enabled=yes,PATA channel selection=both.Also if you're putting 2 IDE(aka PATA)drives on the one cable they have to be jumpered as master and slave,with the master at the end.Hope you can make sense of it.

Hello Peterdiva,

thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I was not quite clear. I did not fresh install this machine. Worked fine untile doing a live update from the MSI site :-(

I did as you mentioned.

Although there more settings you have to set which I will mention below:

On Chip Operator mode= Native (other option is Legacy, but then XP will not see much)
ATA config= P-ATA+ S-ATA
S-ATA keep enabled = yes
P-ATA keep enabled = NO
P-ATA Channel selection = BOTH

Now you have to choose:

Combined mode: S-ATA 1st channel or P-ATA 1st channel (does not differ, either way I see the same drives)
Then you also have to set the S-ATA ports definition (don't know what to choose, did not matter

Anyway, still no results as having 1 of the two IDE drives of the 3rd IDE controller being detected within XP. Funny thing is: if Promise drivers are not being correctly installed within XP it won't show any drive of the 3rd IDE controller, so something happens!

But still no S-ATA drive can be found.

Also looked on the MSI site, but what they're saying does not work at all !

Advice MSI:

• Under Integrated peripherals
• Onboard Promise - Select as S-ATA
• On-Chip IDE configuration(Intel ICH5(R) Only)
• Operate Mode – Select Native mode for Windows XP, Select Legacy mode for Windows 9x/ME/2000
• ATA Configuration – Select P-ATA only
• S-ATA Keep Enabled – Select No
• P-ATA Keep Enabled – No(Default)
• P-ATA Channel Selection – Select Both
• Combined Mode Option – P-ATA 1st Channel(Default)
• S-ATA Ports Definition – P0-1st/P1-2nd(Default)
• Configure S-ATA as Raid(ICH5R Only) – Select No for single hard drive configuration

Hope you van help me after this information!

Just to clarify,are you saying that the setup you have now is exactly the same(and working)as it was before the live update.Also the Promise controller is the 3rd IDE and SATA 3&4.

Peterdiva,

Yes, this exactly what I mean.I did not change anything on the hardware.

And indeed, the hardware is configged 3rd IDE and SATA 3&4

Since I'm afraid the BIOS might be altered I will clear the CMOS with the jumpersettings on the mainboard and see if this helps.

Will let you know the results

In spite of everything no results :-( I've cleared my BIOS by shorting the 2-3 pin while system is off and then returning to 1-2 pin position. Since I get the message that BIOS is wrong and have to load BIOS defaults I guess this is ok.

This is getting really frustrating!

I set it on P-ATA, and legacy, but then the only option is to put the S-ATA on the 1st channel.

I tried P-ATA and S-ATA, but then you are in the combine Mode Option and you have to choose what is the fist channel, P-ATA or S-ATA. I've chosen P-ATA

The most frustrating is that the master of the third IDE is seen by XP, so something of the promise works is it seems, this however as well as being set on P-ATA only or S-ATA + P-ATA.

Still no S-ATA or secondery IDE on the promise :-(

Aaaaarghhh, now what?

Here's the dilemma,the board you mentioned,the 875P Neo-FISR (PCB 2.0),according to MSI's website doesn't mention a Promise controller,also there's no drivers for the Promise controller under that board.

The other board in the series,the 875P Neo-FIS2R has the Promise controller,so this must be the board you have.To check that you have the correct BIOS click start >all programs >accessories >sytem tools >sytem information,then look for BIOS version/date,the date should be the 14th Oct 2004.

As the Promise controller is the problem,it's either a BIOS setting,or a driver problem,if the live update changed the driver then you might be able to roll it back to the previous one.Also what did you mean by the Promise drivers aren't being correctly installed.

Peterdiva,

you are absolutely right about the type of the board, excuse me for that.

My BIOS is from 19-5-2003, always worked that way, a BIOS upgrade is necessary you think?

Btw: altered the follwoing settings:

On-Chip ATA(s) Operate mode: Native
ATA Configuration: SATA only
PATA Keep enabled: Yes
P-ATA Channel Selection: Both
Set SATA as RAID: No

for a moment I thought I was lucky. When booting up XP it said an IDE drive was found.Re-installed the Promise drivers, but still no luck.I ran the Promise 378 S-ATA Drivers v1.0.0.16, did try .30 before.

Could it be it is now a driver issue within XP?

What I meant the driver installation went wrong was: I did an install with version .16, worked fine.

Everytime a load the .30 drivers which should be the latest XP seems to hang and reboots suddenly. After that drivers are being installed but this is strange.

I flashed to the latest BIOS btw which is according the MSI site version 6758v240

So I would say it is now a Windows XP driver issue?

I also should mention that when removing the Promise Raid driver from the device manager, then rebooting the machine XP mentions it has found the Promise IDE controller

I then installed the 1.0.0.16 Promise drivers and it said it had found an IDE drive and comes up with the Master IDE on the third IDE controller

Also found out now that when settings are not as below, the mASTER ide OF the 3rd IDE controller is not detected at all:

P-ATA only
- S-ATA keep enabled = YES
- P-ATA channel selection = Both - S-ATA ports defintion: P0-4th/ P1-3rd (standard setting)
- Config as RAID = NO

Man, getting a headache :)

Can't seem to solve it :-(

Ok,

found the latest drivers (only 2 months newer than the ones I have), which is version .37 Installed them and system went crazy.
So re-installed the .16 drivers but then again no S-ata drives found within XP.

Then went back to BIOS, set it to P-ATA + S-ATA, channels=both and after rebooting XP says it has found IDE drives, but in the end after a restart it only find the primary master HDD on the 1st IDE controller !!! Also re-installing Promise XP drivers won't help. So went back to P-ATA only, S-ATA keep enabled=Yes

But: apparently something happens if you change settings and XP tends to do something.

Just wondering:

- Are there any other Promise XP drivers I could try?

- would the XP version (No Service pack, SP1 or SP2) have any influence of improvement?

- P-ATA + S-ATA sounds logical since I have 2 IDE's and 1 S-ATA on the controller.But you have to set channels for Primary and secondary ATA drive, I have only one...

- I know also ICH5R S-ATA connections are present, would it be an idea to use these? Can't find anything about in the BIOS however

Let's take this one step at a time. Let's make sure your drivers are all installed.

SATA/RAID drivers are installed separately and differently from other motherboard drivers. The motherboard driver bundle does not include SATA/RAID drivers. MSI motherboard drivers can be downloaded from the MSI website as well as the proper SATA/RAID drivers.

MSI has a Live Update utility that will check your system and compare it to the latest drivers (or BIOS too). Check to see if your motherboard model supports MSI Live Update 3. If one of your motherboard drivers is out of date or missing, you can select it for download. The utility will guide you through installation as well. The only problem is I don't know if the live update applies to SATA/RAID drivers. You might have to install them manually.

The important thing is to get the right ones and those are best gotten from the maker of the motherboard. In this case that's MSI. IMHO.

It was the MSI live update that screwed up my pc in the first place, excuse my language.

But I will give it a go :)

Other advice I received:

On-Chip IDE configuration(Intel ICH5(R) Only)
• Operate Mode – Select Native mode for Windows XP, Select Legacy mode for Windows 9x/ME/2000
• ATA Configuration – Select S-ATA only
• S-ATA Keep Enabled – Select No
• P-ATA Keep Enabled – YES
• P-ATA Channel Selection – Select Both
• Combined Mode Option – P-ATA 1st Channel(Default)
• S-ATA Ports Definition – P0-1st/P1-2nd(Default)

Hello,

I ran Live update, I seem to have all the correct drivers for the promise and the latest correct BIOS version.

Bios now set as following:

On-Chip ATA(s) Operate mode: Native
ATA Configuration: SATA only
PATA Keep enabled: Yes
P-ATA Channel Selection: Both
Set SATA as RAID: No

With P-ATA only and SATA keep enabled = yes I get the same result. Only the master IDE HDD of the third (promise) controller can be found by XP.

So any ideas anyone?

Thx!

p.s.

What I'm wondering. Should the drives connected to the promise be recognized by the BIOS automatically?
Because if you go to the standard CMOS it says:primary, secondary, third and fourth (??) IDE controller

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I think you were on the right track in your last post. I'm using the MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo and for some reason the BIOS reset itself. Someone suggested the battery may be low. In any case, I, too, am using a SATA drive except this is my boot drive. After tinkering with my BIOS settings, I finally got mine to work. I wound up with the same configuration as in your last two posts, but I added my drive to the "Boot Device Select" field under "Advanced BIOS..."

I rebooted after the BIOS changes and looked for my SATA drive during the first POST screen. I went back into the BIOS and my SATA drive was finally an option under the "Boot Device Select" option mentioned above. Another reboot and the "Standard CMOS..." option now showed my drive under the "Third IDE Master" field. One more reboot and everything worked. I have two PATA drives and I was able to access both of them. One thing I noticed, however, is my SATA drive never appeared during the last POST screen display when it searches for devices on "SATA378 TX2(tm)..." yet everything works. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back