Proposed law could mandate replaceable batteries in phones -- in the EU

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Remember when removable batteries were a standard feature on phones? It's a pretty rare sight these days, but following the success with making USB-C the standard charging format for devices, the EU is pushing for batteries in electronic gadgets to be easily replaceable.

After arguing for a universal charging solution for over a decade, the European Commission in October voted overwhelmingly in favor of legislation that would see all phones, tablets, and other small electronics sold in the region feature USB-C ports by 2024. The European Council approved the mandate a few weeks later, and it recently confirmed the December 28, 2024, deadline, with laptops given until April 28, 2026.

While most phones (apart from iPhones) use USB-C, PocketNow spotted a different law being proposed by the EU that would impact more than just Apple: the EU Parliament and Council has reached a provisional agreement to overhaul EU rules on portable batteries. Essentially, they must be easier to remove and replace in devices such as phones, and consumers must be better informed.

As with the USB-C mandate, the law on batteries is designed to reduce e-waste, partly by increasing the repairability of devices and extending their life cycle. Moreover, companies will be legally required to accept and recycle old batteries and must cover the costs of collecting said batteries.

"Collection targets are set at 45% by 2023, 63% by 2027, and 73% by 2030 for portable batteries, and at 51% by 2028 and 61% by 2031 for LMT batteries," states the regulation's measures. "Minimum levels of recovered cobalt (16%), lead (85%), lithium (6%), and nickel (6%) from manufacturing and consumer waste must be reused in new batteries."

Device makers will have plenty of time to make any changes should this become law: the requirement would only come into effect 3.5 years after Parliament and Council formally approve the agreement.

This isn't the first we've heard of the EU's intentions to bring back replaceable phone batteries. The draft plan was presented in 2020, and it appears to be progressing slowly but surely.

While many consumers will likely welcome the return of removable batteries in phones (in the EU, anyway), manufacturers are unlikely to be happy with the law and point to the benefits of sealed units, such as improved waterproofing and larger batteries. Expect some to try to get around the law by pointing to their own repair/replacement programs.

Masthead: Antonio Guillem

Permalink to story.

I can hear Apple screaming now (well, pretty much any phone company now that doesn't have easily replaceable batteries).

Last phone in my household that could easily replace a battery on was the LG 5G. Sadly, the batteries on for that phone sucked to begin with. A battery lasted about 2 years before it wouldn't hold a charge, we went through 2 batteries and after that it got too hard to find one from a legit place so we dumped the phone and moved on.

The only problem I see with this is that companies may start to design different batteries to specifically fit different phones. Once the phone is out of circulation it may become very hard to find a suitable replacement. These phone companies want you to keep spending your money on their products as often as possible. I can't see them designing a universal battery (size or shape) because it would be bad for business if people kept one phone for many, many years and just swapped out batteries when needed.

Regardless of what kind of law is passed about replaceable batteries on phones, these companies will find a way to circumvent them to their benefit.

Right now I tend to use a phone until it's pretty much dead (battery or some other failure that can't be fixed, such as the microphone failing in my HTC DNA). My S8 has been with me for 5 years now and the battery is certainly aged, but it still holds a charge to get me through the day. I just wonder how much longer it'll last me....

Honestly, I would rather it be by other means for this to catch on, but we all know these billion dollar corporations will do anything to save a buck (pushing customers to buy new phones instead of repairing old ones is way too lucrative), and consumers are generally sheep when it comes to accepting things that aren't better for them.

And yes, it will be harder to get waterproofing done, but I'm sure the billion dollar corps will find a way (and a way to follow the letter of the law while still screwing the customer). It won't be the consumer's issue to solve (unless it's to replace the battery lol)...

Mandating batteries be replaceable is fantastic.

However, included in this is a "CO@ limit" for batteries, which will lead to the inevitable return of batteries so small that 3-4 hours of SoT is the BEST you can have, leading to frequent battery replacement.

Mandating batteries be replaceable is fantastic.

However, included in this is a "CO@ limit" for batteries, which will lead to the inevitable return of batteries so small that 3-4 hours of SoT is the BEST you can have, leading to frequent battery replacement.
so are you for or against being able to replace your own battery?

My biggest gripe with non-removable battery is that battery can bloat. it's not 100% but you still have a chance of a damaged battery causing more costly damage to the screen or to the mainboard. if you look over in youtube you can easily find many tech reviewers having the same problem with their samsung collections.

my last phone with removable battery was the LG G5. the concept is great, you get a unibody design by utilizing sliding battery. problem is, after many years and heavy use the battery will bulge and not only it gets harder to remove it actually poses real danger to the display.

manufacturers will do anything to line up their pockets, sure you'll get your removable battery but they'll design it in a way so that when the battery swells you'll get a new phone instead. so don't get your hopes up just yet.

I just love the idea, but with no obligation to manufacture batteries 5 or 6 years after the said phone came out, it will be useless. When I had a phone with replaceable battery, after 4-5 years, it became very difficult (I.e. impossible almost...) to find a good battery that would hold the charge. It was DOA every time, so...
Still, that would be a real progress, keeping a phone for 5 years should be the norm, at least, environmentally wise...
I've had my Poco X3 NFC for 2 years now, and the battery is still at 90%, and I don't intend to change soon. I've come to realise that I use my phone to... give phone calls! WTF!? I barely use it for gaming, if ever. I check my mail, use it for 2FA and texting, and that's about it. No need for an ASUS ROG monster to do that.

I just love the idea, but with no obligation to manufacture batteries 5 or 6 years after the said phone came out, it will be useless. When I had a phone with replaceable battery, after 4-5 years, it became very difficult (I.e. impossible almost...) to find a good battery that would hold the charge. It was DOA every time, so...
Still, that would be a real progress, keeping a phone for 5 years should be the norm, at least, environmentally wise...
I've had my Poco X3 NFC for 2 years now, and the battery is still at 90%, and I don't intend to change soon. I've come to realise that I use my phone to... give phone calls! WTF!? I barely use it for gaming, if ever. I check my mail, use it for 2FA and texting, and that's about it. No need for an ASUS ROG monster to do that.
I´m the same type of user. The last phone I had with a removable battery was a Moto G5 and it lasted me 3+ years and I replaced the battery after about 2 years. I now have a Moto(rola) G9 with 128 GB built in storage and a 5000mAh battery and charge maybe twice per week. And it only cost about $100, but the battery is not removable. Come to think of it, it is my first phone without a removable battery. I hope that removable batteries become a thing again.

I don't see the need for easily swappable batteries, since charging is faster and batteries are much improved. Unlike any other phone component the battery will inevitably fail. I support having the battery be easily replaceable even if it's not quick swappable. Meaning, you don't have to unglue your phone and solder the new battery in and out.

Removable batteries, PLASTIC backs (instead of glass), memory cards under the battery etc. Doubt the memory card part will happen, but the PLASTIC back & battery replacement would be nice.
Doubt the manufacturers will like it. Their first argument will probably be that it won't meet the IP68 water resistance rating or something.

I surely like it. But I gotta give it to good phone makers: their batteries last way longer than I keep the phone.
Any way is good to me

Yes, please! Beyond easy battery repair the benefit of turning the device OFF is very appealing. The phones I've had with removable batteries were not what I'd call 'thick' and you could double the thickness and it'd still be fine with me. The beauty at any size movement needs to come for phones too. I don't get much, if any, value out of the thinness.

I don't see the need for easily swappable batteries, since charging is faster and batteries are much improved. Unlike any other phone component the battery will inevitably fail. I support having the battery be easily replaceable even if it's not quick swappable. Meaning, you don't have to unglue your phone and solder the new battery in and out.
When a mobile phone battery holds a charge good for 5 minutes of use, it's time to replace the battery or get a new phone. Battery replacement is less expensive. It also reduces the number of parts that go to the landfill or, on a good day, to an ISO-9002 recycler. Yes, I know, you can use a battery pack attached to the phone via its charging port. Just a little cumbersome?

Yep, If we have a standard USB-C cable type, I like the idea of having a standard battery type across all phone manufacturers so that it's easier to find a replacement when needed. As pointed out above. I'm not too bothered about being able to replace the battery myself. I just want the option to be able to keep a phone for more than 5 years if I want.

Great idea. Why be forced to buy new phone when battery runs down? buy new battery! Great idea, hope it becomes law.

Bring it back. I have family members IRL who have updated their phone because the battery life wasn't good anymore. Nothing else wrong with it, still adequate performance, just not very good battery life after a few years. A wasteful reason to have to upgrade, including financially.

Of course it's not the only reason that people I know have updated their phones, but it shouldn't have to be one of them.

Yep, If we have a standard USB-C cable type, I like the idea of having a standard battery type across all phone manufacturers so that it's easier to find a replacement when needed. As pointed out above. I'm not too bothered about being able to replace the battery myself. I just want the option to be able to keep a phone for more than 5 years if I want.
Nothing wrong with a 5-year old phone. I use one myself. Bought an LG for $50. I have changed its battery once and very easily. Spend hundreds on a top-of-the-line Samsung or a thou on the best iPhone? Nope.

I would very much like to see replaceable batteries come back to smartphones. A smartphone costs a lot of money, and so it's an investment that one ought to be able to keep for years.
Of course, it would also be helpful if one could upgrade phones to newer versiions of the software for them, Android or iOS. So if Apple wants to class an older iPhone as not suitable for upgrading, they ought to have to prove it to the EU - but in my experience, Android phones are even worse, because upgrading Android never seems to be an option.

Am I reading the replies here correctly?? There are people here who will buy a new phone (for anything between $200 - $1200) instead of paying for a $50-60 battery replacement????? And would like a plastic cover and no water-proofing as well?

Seriously people??

Turns our, the problem is not really with the manufacturers.....!!

I can hear Apple screaming now (well, pretty much any phone company now that doesn't have easily replaceable batteries).

Last phone in my household that could easily replace a battery on was the LG 5G. Sadly, the batteries on for that phone sucked to begin with. A battery lasted about 2 years before it wouldn't hold a charge, we went through 2 batteries and after that it got too hard to find one from a legit place so we dumped the phone and moved on.

The only problem I see with this is that companies may start to design different batteries to specifically fit different phones. Once the phone is out of circulation it may become very hard to find a suitable replacement. These phone companies want you to keep spending your money on their products as often as possible. I can't see them designing a universal battery (size or shape) because it would be bad for business if people kept one phone for many, many years and just swapped out batteries when needed.

Regardless of what kind of law is passed about replaceable batteries on phones, these companies will find a way to circumvent them to their benefit.

Right now I tend to use a phone until it's pretty much dead (battery or some other failure that can't be fixed, such as the microphone failing in my HTC DNA). My S8 has been with me for 5 years now and the battery is certainly aged, but it still holds a charge to get me through the day. I just wonder how much longer it'll last me....
It has nothing to do with Apple's imagined screams and everything with good IP ratings, which customers users also want (shocking!).

It has nothing to do with Apple's imagined screams and everything with good IP ratings, which customers users also want (shocking!).
Calm down Apple lover. You like their products, good on you. I still think their products are trash based on my personal experiences.

Back