TechSpot

Pros and Cons to the Ati Radeon 9550

By Rockfan1815
Mar 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was looking at a Graphics card with the Ati Radeon 9550 GPU processor and was wondering if that GPU/VPU is any good. Any comments on it and where would I be able to get one for a good price.
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

It's like any component .what are you going to do with it ? and how much money can you spend ?
    computerpoweruser.com has an article in special issue v2.0 just out ,about sub $100.00 vid cards . take a look at their website.
  3. Rockfan1815

Rockfan1815 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

The most I will pay is about 80, the only thing I use my computer for is Internet and Games, Mainly Call of Duty, Nascar Thunder 2004, Half Life 2 with all mods, NFS underground 2, Halo and other games like those. It also wouldn't bother me if I had to put the graphics inbetween medium and high because I've played all of these games on a budget card (Geforce Mx 420 and 440 pci 64mb) with the graphics on medium and no lag, I just want a card that can handle some of the latest games long enought until I get a job and can afford a top end card.
  4. knuckleball

knuckleball TS Rookie Posts: 88

people have their own opinions. but i always find great deals on brand new parts on ebay. now yes, you can get scr@wed on ebay if you dont pay attention. but if you do it right, theres all sorts of great deals. i built 2 high performance computers and most of the parts are from ebay( all brand new)
  5. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

The 9550 and the 9600 se can both handle DX 9 so they can play games but , you realize not a the top levels as these are economy cards, which is fine.
    I have had good reliable cards with the ATI chips.
    Newegg.com and Computergeeks often sell older models at a reasonable price.
    Have Fun and tell us what you did.
  6. Rockfan1815

Rockfan1815 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

7. Nick Lee

Nick Lee TS Enthusiast Posts: 151

I don't know if it's my system or the way the programs are installed.
    ASUS motherboard
    ati 9550 (CATALYST 5.3 and CATALYST Control Center)
    512mb DDR ram
    cd rom52x
    anthlon 64 2200+ 1.79gig.
    40 gig samsung
    110 gig wdc wd400
    300w power supply

my problem is that i play battlefeild 1942 and the game is very sticky, my computer meets the reqerments and a lot more. Anyone please help advice,
    I tried everything i know.

p.s. I woun't/ will not reformat my com. and start from sctrach.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.