TechSpot

ps2 online connecting

By alienman
Sep 21, 2006
  1. ok well i have tried to connect my ps2 to online and i seem to not be able to... is it because the games are for broadband only and im running on dsl....i used to be able to connect when i was using aol then i switched to yahoo dsl and cant connect any more. My aol modem had a dsl, usb, and dial up hook up and my yahoo one has a ethernet and dial up hook up only. which isnt really changing anything since i usually just needed to connect the ethernet cable only to the ps2. Anyone who can explain this problem? Thx!

2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

What kind of precise modem did you get with your Yahoo DSL?

AT&T Yahoo Broadband usually has two options: modem-only for $59 and the whole enchilada (modem, gateway, dhcp server, firewall, wireless and hub) for like $79.

It sounds to me like you may have a DSL modem only, which performs no DHCP, gateway or firewall duties. If this is the case, I do not think you can configure the PS2 to use this as it doesn't have the software to authenticate and log-into SBC/AT&T Yahoo internet services.. just a PC or MAC.

If it's a Siemans Speedstream or similar, it's probably the lower end choice and may need some additional hardware for the PS2. If it's a 2-wire, then you should be golden and simply need to configure this differently.

3. alienman

alienman TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have the speedstream 2400. What other hardware might i need?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.