TechSpot

PS2 wont read ps2 discs it only reads playstation and music discs

By Golferman443
Nov 3, 2005
  1. I had my PS2 for about 9 months and one day it justed decided not to read PS2 games, but for some reason it will read regualr playstation games, and when i turn it one it makes a weird noise like the fan is hitting something. I took it apart and everything seemed to be in place. Does anyone know the problem?

2. Triton

Triton TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

3. luvhuffer

luvhuffer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 638

Golferman. There are issues with the laser lens. My kids was out of warranty and I had broken the case seal to get inside and check the CMOS battery. It was fine so I called Sony and asked where the nearest factory authorized service center was. I was going to pay for the repair as the machine was almost 2 years old. They asked me about the problem, gave me an RMA number. I FedEx'd the console back to them. That was on a Thursday. The following Tuesday I got it back with a whole new laser lens and tracking unit and a complete servicing. No charge! Give it a try.

If you are in the U.S. call Sony Playstation Support at 1 800 345-7669

4. macklessdaddy

macklessdaddy TS Rookie Posts: 69

yeah ,what he said , it doesnt matter if it is 4 years old or even if the tamper seal is broken , sony will still fix it as long as it has not been modified ,by the way sony just settled a class action on ps2s

5. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

Buy a new one switch serial numbers it is a silver thing on the back and just return it. Wal-Mart and Target don't have time to open it up and verify the numbers inside. Just pay cash.

6. luvhuffer

luvhuffer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 638

Sony had a ps2 class action? Darn, I missed that one. I'm still waiting for my $21 check from MS for the class action here in California. It's been about 15 months since I filed a claim. The suit has been going on since '03. I'm not holding my breath! <g>

7. rant and rave

rant and rave TS Rookie

if it's the original style ps2, the big bulky one, there is a way to possibly fix the issue. when you open the case there should be another case for the disc and laser housing. when you open that you should see a white round dial. mark the position that it is at with a marker. then turn the dial, this raises and lowers the laser housing. my ps2 would not read black or blue backed discs all of a sudden, with a few turns and tests to see, it worked fine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.