PS3 firmware 3.30 released, preps consoles for 3D games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has introduced a mandatory PlayStation 3 System Software Update (version 3.30, if you're keeping track) adding several new features, such as changes to the trophy system and preparations for 3D gaming.

While Sony hasn't released any 3D titles yet, games with the extradimensional goodness are due as early as June. In that same timeframe, Sony will launch its 3D Bravia HDTVs, so it seems the 3D craze could pick up steam over this summer into the holiday season.

As for the trophy enhancements, you should now be able to sort trophy lists by any category, such as the date obtained or trophy value. Version 3.30 also includes updated Flash support for the PS3 browser, the addition of PC remote play (for upcoming VAIO systems), and tweaks like a smaller RAM footprint for the firmware, which will allow developers to use more memory in future games.

Permalink to story.

"Sony has introduced a mandatory PlayStation 3 System Software Update"

Is there any other kind? As far as I know, anytime they release an update, you have to install it before you can play online.

theres been a few u could do optionally but they all ended up being mandatory at some point

What's a VAIO system. I'm still haveing problem with my Remote Play on the PSP. It only works if the PS3 is left turned on.

VAIO is one of Sony's top line/model of laptops; I guess what they're talking about here is devce interconnectivity - similar to how a PSP and PS3 work together.

I haven't updated since I've heard they are taking away features... I don't play online so who cares. When I'm forced I guess I will have no choice but for now.... not getting any helpful features and they are taking away things...uhhhh no thanks.

@windmill007:

You're flogging a dead horse...get over it! My PS3 is now 3D ready and am loving it. All I need now is a 3D ready Sony TV and am good.

hello ...

@ Guest 3 - Like Guest 4 said, VAIO is a line of SONY laptops & Remote Play, i guess is supposed to be played with a PS3 switched on & data streamed to the PSP.

Now this feature would be great if sent to more SONY products like phones & PCs, but would be better if could be used on more devices (other PCs)

this FW doesn't add 3D functionality yet, it prepares it for the future one with 3D support, can't wait for this.

I haven't check the other features yet, will do so tomorrow.

cheers!

that list of fixes sounds great. especially the ram footprint. This ram issue keeps the ps3 from competing with the xbox360 in that the developers have to reorganize ram management for the ps3 because its operating system uses more(xbox360 uses 50-64 out of 2x256 ps3 uses 85-96 out of 1x512 before update) and this could be a significant reason we see games pass by this platform or simply are canceled in the development process and still continued with the pc and xbox360.
Good For Sony for looking out for the devs and streamlining their work process even more to get more games on the ps3.

How big R these updates. It took me almost 30 mins to download this last one, I fed up of turning it on to have it go U MUST DOWNLOAD THIS UDATE OR ELSE U CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME. and then taking Ages to download the thing. There r far too many. BTW I have a 1.5Meg connection. There are no way as many updates for my 360. Some individuel games on steam take the piss with there Huge updates as well.

Sorry a little off topic. On topic. 3D Great. Now give me a 3D tv. I sure as hell will not be getting one this year. Tried out the trophy thing. Thank god we now have a feacture thats been on the 360 for ages (compare accivement). ''the addition of PC remote play (for upcoming VAIO systems)'' SAo only on VAIO systems? or can any PC remote play?

hello ...

i thought would be 2 x 256 Mb for PS3 & 1 x 512 for Xbox360 ....

yes, releasing more memory for the developers is always good ;)

3D not here yet, need to buy a PC monitor that supports it meanwhile for already made the HD jump more than 1 year ago.

Remote play said for VAIO series, i guess would be a software that works only on SONY's devices (phone/PC/PSP) ....

I tried & it asked me to enter a code, will need to check if my next PC would be a VAIO laptop LOL.

cheers!

well updates are not always good!

Sony can update PS3 firmware without asking (http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/22/sony-can-update-ps3-firmware-without-asking/)

Sony's latest mandatory firmware update to version 3.30 fixes some stability issues, adds sorting options for trophies and reportedly paves the way for forthcoming 3D content.

It also includes a new EULA which we took the time to read, and it certainly raised a few eyebrows.

We draw your attention to section 3. Services and Updates:

From time to time, SCE may provide updates, upgrades or services to your PS3™ system to ensure it is functioning properly in accordance with SCE guidelines or provide you with new offerings.

Some services may be provided automatically without notice when you are online, and others may be available to you through SCE's online network or authorized channels. Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3™ system.

Additionally, you may not be able to view your own content if it includes or displays content that is protected by authentication technology. Some services may change your current settings, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up.

What particularly caught our beady eye is the sentence "Some services may be provided automatically without notice when you are online" which basically means that Sony can do whatever the hell it wants to do to the content of your PS3 without notifying you or asking your permission.

SONY is the console for me but all this updating is a huge pain in the ****. i mean i just bought a 42 inch LCD so im in no rush to even think about buying a 3D tv. C'mon on sony about 80% of ps3 owners wont buy a new 3d tv so y should i have to update my console again and again to play online and get my console ready 4 3d gaming. in my opinion this 3.30 update should have a choice to download.

Be careful of this update. It's been bricking systems left and right and Sony refuses to acknowledge so they can dodge the responsibility bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back