TechSpot

PS3 gamers get exclusive early access to Battlefield 3 expansions

By Matthew
Sep 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In a blog post today, DICE announced that it has signed a timed exclusivity pact with Sony that will give PlayStation 3 players early access to Battlefield 3's expansions. Sony…

Read the whole story

2. Originally a PC game. Why do PS3 users get exclusive rights to expansions??? i find this insulting.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

Yeah, but it's all about the money these days rather than passion for the job, in a way, it sickens me.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,371   +406

Funny how they provide us with the "Oh - the developmental focus is on the PC" lip service, but are handing out all the carrot sticks to the console users.

Frankly, I've been burned one too many times recently with crappy console ports. Crysis 2 was the clincher. I don't care what the pre-release videos look like or what they offer as incentives to pre-order. I won't even consider buying it until I've seen a sizable chunk of critic and user reviews after release.

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Yeah I finally saw Crisis 2 on XBox 360 the other day and I'll never play the game now. It looked like a sad joke.

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

All of you are misguided. DICE (and not EA), has explicitly said BF3 was developed specifically for the PC as the leading platform. Key word here: developed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alternatively, this move is, like the article said, a great way to compete with Activision and Microsoft. Keep in mind that in the original article, it was never specified the price(s) of the upcoming expansion pack(s). One main difference is that on consoles, expansion pack always cost money (not to mention that on Xbox you have to be stupid enough to pay to play online). On PC they are usually free, or cost much less in comparison.

I don't mind that PS3 is getting this much attention; in fact, I think it's great thing that DICE has finally started treating BF3 as the cross-platform game it actually is. Because, in case you've forgotten, most footage of BF3 has been on PC. The very E3 demo was shown live on an Alienware. It is clear they developed it for the PC, as the superior graphics have demonstrated, but not all offers are going to appear on all platforms.

You can't have the whole pie...

8. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

So we get a dumbed down game (so that it can be ported to consoles) and they get the updates earlier?

What the fack?

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

A few weak points in your arguement: how do you know it is a dumbed down game (whatever that term implies), and how accurate are your supporting facts for this statement?

Also, they do not get updates earlier, they get expansion packs earlier, at a--usually--higher price.

The game has to be ported, or else it would never be cross-platform. A bad port is not a copy of a bad game, it's just a bad port. I have followed the development of the Frostbite 2 engine since the day BF3 was announced. I've seen the developer videos on tesellation, real-time dynamic lighting, and other jargon I won't pretend I know. You can see some of the dev videos here, if you like.

If you like the gameplay you see in the videos, then do not doubt the game actually looks like that on PCs. Thankfully, DICE is not Crytek.

10. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Enthusiast Posts: 233

WHY like honestly...WHY, WTF
    LIKE WTF. i m so pissed. screw my grammar. this is unaccceptable. like....ps3.....press accept to surrender your rights and you get early access....this is bs.
    Hate list:
    Crytek.EA.
    Still loving epic games though, they always come through.
    (btw im raging)

11. Wow, some of you PC gamers are such cry babies.

1) If you care that some expansion pack will come out 1 week earlier on a console, re-assess what's important in your life. It's a god-damn videogame, not a life and death situation. The PC game costs $10 less than the console game to begin with.

2) 99% of developers cannot develop exclusive games for PC anymore because it's simply too expensive. Guess what? As a PC gamer I don't care. Even if the game is cross-platform, I get to enjoy the best visuals, silky smooth framerates, and superior controls than what you get on a console for FPS games. On top of that, PC games drop to $10-20 within 6-12 months of release

3) If DICE or any other developer can make 3x as much $ by selling on 360 and PS3, and re-use the profits to make an even better BF4 game, so be it. Are consoles getting 60 fps, DX11 visuals, 64 player large multiplayer maps, high resolution textures? Nope.

Guess what people, a real gamer enjoys games on any platform. I own the PC and consoles. I play strategy games, role-playing and FPS games on the PC because it's the best for those. Sports, fighting games, racing games, platform/adventure games and console exclusives are also amazing.

This fight of console kids vs. PC gamers with inferiority complexes is getting old.

Stop complaining about PC games being "consolized." BF3 had a dedicated team maximizing its potential for the PC. At least do some research kids.

Honestly, only fanbois stick to their "primary" gaming platform. Each platform has something unique and great on it. At the end of the day, videogames is an expensive industry where salaries for programmers, artists/designers need to be paid, rent needs to be paid, writers need to be paid. It's not a f*ck*n charity. And no, I am getting BF3 on the PC, not on the PS3.

12. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 688   +48

Didn't Microsoft state that any game DLC that comes out on any other console first would be banned on xbox live's market place?

13. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Maybe people will stop pretending I have a tinfoil hat on and believe me when I tell them BF3 wasn't made for the PC and it's just EA whispering sweet nothings into your ear.

14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

They're making it seem like this expansion is a bonus, but it really is just original game content. They're forcing you to spend money, sometimes months in advance, in order to get the complete game when it's released. And what do they do with those thousands of pre-orders? Invest the money to make even more money.

People need to stop pre-ordering games. That is the only way any kind of message will be sent to developers in terms of content and quality. Pre-ordering a game is like buying a TV from some guy on the corner. When you get home and turn it on, it might work, it might not. Either case, you've paid your money and can't get it back.

15. Let PS3 have DLC first. Without them and XBOX, the PC would die. Fact.

16. Yawn.

Gears 3 far more interesting.

;-)

17. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Totally. Before the Playstation came out, we all had to use Atari 2600s to type our schoolwork, and let me tell you, typing with that joystick was a pain in the ***.

That reminds me, time to change the ribbon on my dot matrix printer. I used the last one up printing a GIF of a side boob shot of Marina Sirtis. Only took 14 hours to download off Compuserve, but it was worth it! If you squint hard enough you can totally see part of a nipple.

18. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I applaud lawfer for his intelligent posts in this thread. :)

Made me laugh out loud, literally.

19. ****ing EA

20. Seriously, who cares? It's 7 days. Many people won't even buy the DLC anyway, and, more to the point, I seem to recall that BF3's DLC might even be cheaper/free on the PC anyway.

If this allows BF3 to sell more than COD4.3, and prove that PC-led development is a great way of making not only good games, but a good profit, then I'm all for it. How much are you expecting to be able to play in a week anyway? I dislike Sony as much as the next guy, but this should at least allow market penetration.

Having said that, I'm also not a fan of paid-for-DLC where the game is full-retail cost, but cut down in order to make more money. BC2 + Vietnam was a good expansion. Release-day DLC is shite, but there's no indication how DICE and EA will handle it. Given BC2, I'd say they will release it tactfully. None of this 4 maps where two are refreshed and will cost £12 bull crap.

As for those saying this is just a console port and EA are making stuff up, roll on the 29th, then we can see for ourselves. Somehow I don't think they've got much to hide given the massive open Beta across all three release platforms, unlike COD's beta on one platform (never PC/PS3, hence why BlOps was a pile of shite on release (and for many months afterwards) for many PC and PS3 players).

Just my opinions, but they seem pretty reasonable to me (then again, they would).

21. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 197

This kind of news makes me love starcraft 2 even more.

22. Cant wait...! Hey M$oft..! what u think about this?

23. EA paid DICE a very large fixed sum to get the publishing rights. EA is taking a huge $gamble$ on BF3.

You can bet the rent that they included countless pages filled with clauses about being able to do whatever the hell they want with the game prior to and after release. i.e origin required to buy and play on PC, exclusive content if you pre-order. They will over-provision and under-provide for the backend systems the game connects with and the game will be laggy and choppy for the most part just like BC2 is and has been for a chronic long time now.

DICE got their pay day. DICE doesn't care if EA sells 100 copies or 10,000,000. Nor do they care how badly EA screws people over or how many people won't buy the game because they have had enough of counting all the ways EA is screwing customers over and over.

If the franchise were to actual not make enough profit for EA for whatever reason (see above) Then EA would simply scrap the franchise, and cut DICE loose calling it a bad gamble. Then move on to bleed as much as they can from the next big title.

EA does not care about games or the customers who buy them. Just about their bottomline.

24. battlefield 3 on ps3 or xbox pointless just wont be the game as it should be just like battlefield 2 on ps3/xbox its a pc game....you are only going to get the full gameplay playability on pc. this dlc is getting too much common place in the gaming world £££ on one game what a joke....the way things are going im going take my ps3 offline and hack it and use copied games and stick to my pc for online gaming.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.