PS4 Pro Boost Mode reportedly improves frame rates by up to 38 percent

Scorpus

Staff member

Earlier this week it was revealed that an upcoming PlayStation 4 software update, version 4.5, will be bringing an important improvement to the PlayStation 4 Pro. This improvement is Boost Mode, a setting that will improve the performance of games on the PS4 Pro that haven't been updated to support the console's more powerful hardware.

Digital Foundry have gotten their hands on a beta version of this update, and have put the PS4 Pro's Boost Mode through its paces. Their testing revealed frame rate increases anywhere from 14 percent up to 38 percent, depending on the title. These gains allow the PS4 Pro to deliver a smoother and more responsive gaming experience.

You won't see frame rate improvements in every game, as some titles have hard-coded frame rate caps. Destiny, for example, runs at 30 FPS regardless of whether the Boost Mode is enabled.

The most common performance improvement is a gain of 14 percent, which matches the increase in the PS4 Pro's GPU clock speed from 800 to 911 MHz. Boost Mode doesn't give games access to the PS4 Pro's additional GPU compute units, so in GPU-limited titles, a 14-percent boost is roughly what you'll achieve (provided the game's frame rate isn't capped).

In other titles that are more memory bandwidth and CPU bound, frame rate gains up to 38 percent were experienced. In Project Cars, Digital Foundry noticed gains of 35 to 38 percent in the most demanding tests. Notoriously choppy game Assassin's Creed Unity actually reached 30 FPS with Boost Mode enabled, rather than a horrendous 22 to 24 FPS.

For games with a 60 FPS frame rate cap, Boost Mode mostly allows these titles to hit the cap more consistently. Digital Foundry noted more consistent performance in titles such as Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Battlefield 4's 64-player multiplayer mode, and BioShock Infinite.

PS4 software version 4.5 with its Boost Mode will roll out to owners of the PS4 Pro in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

So anyone with a pro now have a competitive advantage. This is a pretty important point that many console players cite as to why they go console over PC in the first place. Now it's just another reason to buy a PC instead.

So anyone with a pro now have a competitive advantage. This is a pretty important point that many console players cite as to why they go console over PC in the first place. Now it's just another reason to buy a PC instead.

I've been playing on consoles since the 90s. I've never heard another console gamer cite this as a reason for buying a console.

I've also been playing on PC since the 90s. I've heard plenty of PC gamers cite this as a reason for buying a console.

But let's be honest. The real reason to buy a PC right now isn't better graphics, lower long-term costs, 60-120FPS, or even 4K60. The real reason to buy a PC right now is that the video game consoles...they don't have any video game libraries right now.

I've been playing on consoles since the 90s. I've never heard another console gamer cite this as a reason for buying a console.

I've also been playing on PC since the 90s. I've heard plenty of PC gamers cite this as a reason for buying a console.

But let's be honest. The real reason to buy a PC right now isn't better graphics, lower long-term costs, 60-120FPS, or even 4K60. The real reason to buy a PC right now is that the video game consoles...they don't have any video game libraries right now.

I agree with your first statement, but disagree with your second one. There's plenty of first party exclusive games on consoles. Just because you don't like those exclusive or show interest in them doesn't mean there's no games. ;)

This is a pretty important point that many console players cite as to why they go console over PC in the first place.

In my years of gaming since the Atari 2600 in the late 80s I never once heard nor seen console players citing this reason.

In my years of gaming since the Atari 2600 in the late 80s I never once heard nor seen console players citing this reason.

Your experience is not the one and only that exists in the universe. I can say for certain I've heard it from many console players. You are really just arguing for arguments sake.

Go ahead and tell me that a single set of hardware doesn't provide an even playing field, I'll wait.

The PC va console arguement is childish. There are many reasons people prefer one over the other. I believe the strongest arguement is that PC's are intimidating for the average "gamer" and a console is an easy to use, and an easy to hop in and out machine.

I own both and know my way around windows and every part inside my machine, I cant say as much about the friends I game with. Thats why we play multiplayer via PS4.

We should all just be happy we have a choice. I dont think one is "better" than the other. Yes PC is capable of better graphics and more smooth gameplay (if you have deep enough pockets) but the PS4 has broad range of age accessability.

What we really need is mandatory cross platform multiplayer. Or at least the choice to play with each other. That and Microsoft needs to cut the cord on the xbox one, everyone know that pile is holding back this generation.

Your experience is not the one and only that exists in the universe. I can say for certain I've heard it from many console players. You are really just arguing for arguments sake.

Go ahead and tell me that a single set of hardware doesn't provide an even playing field, I'll wait.

It doesn't. Anybody who played online games in the PS2 era knows very well the quality of the end user's internet service can make or break a match. It's always easy to spot the player with the cheap connection.

Exactly, I was stating from personal experience. I never once said those players/people don't exist. Also there are many are reasons why people game on consoles. Exclusives/sake of convience/wanting to have a chill time with friends and families playing together in the lounge..etc

Again I'm not arguing, just saying. If what I say bothers you so much, then simply don't reply to me and move on. Simple as that. :)

Last edited:
The PC va console arguement is childish..

Amen to that!

I own a decent gaming PC 6700k@ 4.7ghz, GTX 1080 G1 Gaming. As much I enjoy gaming on the PC, I also enjoy gaming on consoles.

At the end of the day we're all gamers, and should be happily gaming on any platforms regardless people's perference without the need to belittle or name call each other fanboys. (y)

Not really if people who play on consoles do not play on pc, my friend and I play Forza3 on xb1 why would we buy a gaming pc just to play it when we have the game on the xb1.It is a persons choice what they play on and if your friends play on console you do not need a pc and I also have the ps4 pro because some other online friends are on ps4 so owning a pc will not let me play with them. I had a gaming pc and loved it but no one I knew played on pc so I sold it so I could get the pro and ps vr and a 4k TV and I do not regret it for one moment as I now play with more people than ever on the pc. But my recommendation is this play on what you want to not what you are told or coerced into but it pc or consoles because at the end of the day it's YOUR choice no one elses.

LOL "boost mode." Really? They crippled it to keep it running cooler and maybe even planned this to make it more competitive in a later battle against competing consoles, should an improvement been made to one of those after launch.

Not really if people who play on consoles do not play on pc, my friend and I play Forza3 on xb1 why would we buy a gaming pc just to play it when we have the game on the xb1.It is a persons choice what they play on and if your friends play on console you do not need a pc and I also have the ps4 pro because some other online friends are on ps4 so owning a pc will not let me play with them. I had a gaming pc and loved it but no one I knew played on pc so I sold it so I could get the pro and ps vr and a 4k TV and I do not regret it for one moment as I now play with more people than ever on the pc. But my recommendation is this play on what you want to not what you are told or coerced into but it pc or consoles because at the end of the day it's YOUR choice no one elses.

I have an Xbox One and a PC. I prefer the PC and absolutely hate using gamepads. Two reasons someone would choose differently.

LOL "boost mode." Really? They crippled it to keep it running cooler and maybe even planned this to make it more competitive in a later battle against competing consoles, should an improvement been made to one of those after launch.
The "boost mode" just sets the clocks for the CPU/GPU/RAM to the standard ones for the PS4 Pro (the ones used in games with a PS4 Pro patch) while still keeping half of the GPU disabled for compatibility reasons.

That doesn't really sound like your choice. Is sounds like you have pretty bad friends who won't do what you did, in switching gaming devices. Your choice was entirely driven by the actions of others, making it not really your choice. Most people already have and need a basic PC. Making it into a gaming PC is as simple as installing a GTX 1050. It's super easy and there is zero excuse for your friends to not to be able to do this.

"But my recommendation is this play on what you want to not what you are told or coerced into but it pc or consoles because at the end of the day it's YOUR choice no one elses."

You were told to get a console to play with your friend no? In fact many console players choose their console based on their friend's choice. That's a non-choice. You'll find that far more PC players get a PC because it's their choice.

That doesn't really sound like your choice. Is sounds like you have pretty bad friends who won't do what you did, in switching gaming devices. Your choice was entirely driven by the actions of others, making it not really your choice. Most people already have and need a basic PC. Making it into a gaming PC is as simple as installing a GTX 1050. It's super easy and there is zero excuse for your friends to not to be able to do this.

"But my recommendation is this play on what you want to not what you are told or coerced into but it pc or consoles because at the end of the day it's YOUR choice no one elses."

You were told to get a console to play with your friend no? In fact many console players choose their console based on their friend's choice. That's a non-choice. You'll find that far more PC players get a PC because it's their choice.

It was his choice to abandon the PC and join his friends. Most people have a laptop yes, but not many at all have a desktop.

I would assume his friends dont have the capitol and knowledge to buy and or build and then run a PC. We as enthusiasts take if for granted, but gaming on a PC can be far from plug and play.

It was his choice to abandon the PC and join his friends. Most people have a laptop yes, but not many at all have a desktop.

I would assume his friends dont have the capitol and knowledge to buy and or build and then run a PC. We as enthusiasts take if for granted, but gaming on a PC can be far from plug and play.

Are you saying they he couldn't spend less than a minute telling them to slap a GTX 1050 in their PCs? You don't need to build a PC, you can easily upgrade any OEM machine you have laying around.

"It was his choice to abandon the PC and join his friends."

Sure, if you want to consider being influenced by your friends a choice. It's obvious, because he already had a PC, that he would not have made that choice without that 3rd party influence. So at what point does his own preference and not his friends make him sell his PC and buy console? Answer, none.

Are you saying they he couldn't spend less than a minute telling them to slap a GTX 1050 in their PCs? You don't need to build a PC, you can easily upgrade any OEM machine you have laying around.

"It was his choice to abandon the PC and join his friends."

Sure, if you want to consider being influenced by your friends a choice. It's obvious, because he already had a PC, that he would not have made that choice without that 3rd party influence. So at what point does his own preference and not his friends make him sell his PC and buy console? Answer, none.

Your not reading, I said most people have a laptop, and yes that is a choice.

Ah yes it was my choice my friend and I play on the Xb1 getting the ps4 pro psvr and 4k tv was my choice no one said I had to and as I am 60yo no one is about to start telling me, my first game was pong in 1975 so I have been playing consoles for years.I have had NES Snes and so on I also do not have good co-ordination with my left and right side with keyboard and mouse and cannot remember where the keys are that I need to play games even when I played WOW for years still forget where certain keys were.I do however find using a game pad much much easier for me.

Ah yes it was my choice my friend and I play on the Xb1 getting the ps4 pro psvr and 4k tv was my choice no one said I had to and as I am 60yo no one is about to start telling me, my first game was pong in 1975 so I have been playing consoles for years.I have had NES Snes and so on I also do not have good co-ordination with my left and right side with keyboard and mouse and cannot remember where the keys are that I need to play games even when I played WOW for years still forget where certain keys were.I do however find using a game pad much much easier for me.

Ok, for the sake of argument we will say it's your choice. What you cannot deny is that there were multiple decision factors that were not of your choice.

"I also do not have good co-ordination with my left and right side with keyboard and mouse and cannot remember where the keys are that I need to play games even when I played WOW for years still forget where certain keys were.I do however find using a game pad much much easier for me."

Who says you have to use a mouse and a keyboard? Gamepads work just fine on PC. For the few games that don't support controller (and that is very few) there are many programs to map the keys.

If you were having problems finding keys they do have special gaming only keyboards with larger than usual keys and only the essential ones you need to game. Heck, I've had a media center that hasn't had a mouse a keyboard for years. It runs purely on a controller.

Ok, for the sake of argument we will say it's your choice. What you cannot deny is that there were multiple decision factors that were not of your choice.

"I also do not have good co-ordination with my left and right side with keyboard and mouse and cannot remember where the keys are that I need to play games even when I played WOW for years still forget where certain keys were.I do however find using a game pad much much easier for me."

Who says you have to use a mouse and a keyboard? Gamepads work just fine on PC. For the few games that don't support controller (and that is very few) there are many programs to map the keys.

If you were having problems finding keys they do have special gaming only keyboards with larger than usual keys and only the essential ones you need to game. Heck, I've had a media center that hasn't had a mouse a keyboard for years. It runs purely on a controller.
Mate get it through your thick head I didn't want to play on it anymore, since gaming on the ps4 pro I have made friends with others who are playing the same game or games I play main one is The Division 2 people tonight sent me friend requests and so far since I have been I have 10 people I can play with so no I don't miss the pc. If you have trouble excepting I can make an adult decision not my problem.

Back