PSU cable reusable?

Alexexex

I've recently found a new power supply lying around my house. Being of a better quality than my current computer's power supply I was thinking that I could replace my current one with that power supply. Only problem is that I can't find the power cable anywhere... So I was wondering if I could use the old power cable on the newer power supply... Any thoughts?

Ohhhhh that's great news! I was thinking that these cables had individual power ratings so it actually made a difference...

Underwriters Laboratory wouldn't approve the AC input cord, if it wasn't capable of carrying 15 Amps, at it's length of about 6 feet.

An AC line running @ 15 amps is equal to 1875 watts. @ only 70 % power transfer efficiency, that would power a 1300 watt PSU. Although granted, the cord might get slightly warm to the touch at that point.

You're not planning any sort of extravaganza that needs more than 1300 watts of PSU output to power it, are you?

Nope its a 550W vs a 700W psu, which hopefully would allow me to use a more demanding graphics card. Speaking of which, how would one find out the maximum limit of their graphics card power usage?

Ahhhh ok... so I'll just get one of those meters and calculate my computer power usage with and without my graphics card.

Thank you guys for all the help and clarification, I appreciate it.

Back