PSU concerns on buying a GTX280

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the specification, the 260 say recomended 500W. the new one, 280, recomends 575w [newegg].
one factor would be your CPU, and what it uses. but i wouldnt cut it that close. chanses your CPU doesnt take less than 25W. i would bump up to an efficient 800W, plenty of room to swing.

Basically, bump to 700W+

That Ultra 600 watt does not provide the most steady response and output under load, but it should be fine... Remember that the PSU never reaches the 600 watts... it is the quality under load, and the steady instant response that make the biggest difference.

A high quality power supply could provide everything needed at 600 Watts... and the Ultra "probably" will, but it is simply not the highest quality...

It depends somewhat on what else is demanding power... e.g. CPU cooler, Case Fans, high speed hard drive, and especially quality of DVD drive.

It should work. It's not going to blow the PSU, the worst that could happen is instability due to lack of power, and that's fixed by buying a new PSU. But you might not need to, so might as well give it a shot. All this nonsense about cushioning the recommended requirements by 50% is just that -- nonsense. You can almost always run hardware with a good bit less power than is "recommended" from the PSU.

The LS600 is of questionable quality and I cannot find the name of the OEM either. But it seems to provide enough power on the +12V rail, so things should be ok.

Paying more than $100 more for a meager decrease in power consumption is not very smart IMO. A GTX 280 can be had for $265 here. A GTX285 costs $400 in comparison.

It's actually not a good quality power supply and not very efficient. It's going to overheat and run out of spec, causing some major problems. It's also not a true 600W unit.

The PCI-E connector isn't a problem, the card ships with an adapter.

I would replace it with a better quality product from another manufacturer.

Thanks guys let me tell you what my computer is
xfx 750a
amd x3 2.4ghz black edition
4 gb ram
old IDE dvd drive
1 sata drive and i was planin on usin the converters to turn the 4 pins to 6 pins then from the 6 pins into the 8 pins. I dont know i only have enough money for the card i cant drop another 150 bucks into a power supply. do you think it wouldnt work with the one i have now?

You know.. Here's a funny thing. For the last two days I've been building a box for a client. The mobo ended up being faulty, so I've got an out-of-box build sitting on my workbench.

This is the funny part. P5Q WS, Core2Duo E8400, ATi 3450 VGA, 2 GB Patriot, 3 x 500GB WD Caviar RE3 in a RAID 5 array with an LG DVDRW... All powered with a Sparkle 400W powersupply (yes, you heard that right)!!! And the PSU isn't even breaking a sweat. It's not even getting warm after two days of 24 hour/day operation.

Ok, the Sparkle has dual 12V 18A rails and PFC, but still.. That's absolutely impressive, especially since it's not one of their rebadged FSP units. It's not the wattage you're after, it's the quality of the components in it.

Well, not quite.
The FSP Group was founded in Taiwan in 1993, and FSP Group is now the 6th largest power supply vendor in the world. They were formed by seven power supply manufacturers.
But Sparkle is not merely "rebadged" FSP, and not "All" Sparkle units are rebadged.
FSP group makes power supplies for OCZ, Nexus, Salman, Yate Loon, Antec, and Sparkle. But Sparkle still makes a great number of their own power supplies. Even the UL numbers are different... but some Sparkles are indeed made for them by FSP. There are 89 power supply brands sold around the free world, and a good proportion of those are made by FSP.
We have been using Sparkle for 20 years with nary a failure. The UL numbers are different, and the corporate ID is different.
But FSP was a "Group" of 12 electronics and power supply manufacturers. Sparkle is not part of that group, according to their corporate paper work.
Most FSP power supplies are excellent, as are most Sparkles. Though there remain some low powered FSP power supplies that are still on the market that were made prior to the ATX 2.00 specifications. Those are being unloaded by some online retailers at low prices. They are not similr to Sparkle or to other FSP Group power supplies.
FSP even makes power supplies for the US PC Power and Cooling.

Well im actually not getting the gtx280 any more im getting the GTX285! lol it had 2 6 pins instead of a 6 and 8 pin. Also its faster so down the road when i sli it my computer will be BEAST!!!

why not just keep the gtx 260 which is almost as fast as the 280 especially if its overclocked. wait on the next generation of cards not the 285 man you can play every game out now with the gtx 260. you could instead use the money and pick up a new MB and one of the new phenom II cpus and get better performance than you do now.

@wildgene789, the GTX285 is no faster than an overclocked GTX280. I believe it is a bad choice, but since you seem to have made up your mind...

Thanks for the info raybay. However, Sparkle Power is a division of FSP, and all PSUs made by Sparkle are essentially FSP units. You can see this on their site, with the Sparkle and FSP logos clearly visible.

i second the not getting the gtx 285 not worth the upgrade from a 260 imo i would just wait on the next gen cards man. Like i said before i think a cpu and MB upgrade would be money well spent in this situation.

Rage.. I buy them all from Supercom.. and one thing I like about Supercom is that the rebadged FSP units have FSP in the SKU. lol. These 400W units don't. I don't want to say either of you are wrong, because honestly I haven't run the UL numbers.. But there may be something in what wildgene puts forth. Possibly different plants or something? I don't know. I just know they're awesome PSUs. :D

Why couldnt you guys have said something sooner lmao BUT heres main reasons y i did what i did
1. I got the gtx260 at best buy and way over priced so either way it was going back im just using it untill i get new one
2. My powersupply isnt to strong sooo idk if the gtx280 would be good for me. so the GTX285 isnt the 6/8 pin its 2 6 pins and consumes less power.
3. why not start with something that is faster and THEN overclock it?
and 4. well i dont really have a 4 except that i already bought it :( its the xfx gtx285 i wanted to stay with either evga or xfx because their warranty covers overclocking
O and i also didnt keep the gtx260 because it need more ram to run gta4

lol well that card will bottleneck your cpu bad which is why i suggested a new cpu MB instead of the card. lol but oh well enjoy your new toy.

i would say anything less than a 3ghz intel C2D or amd 6000+ would def bottleneck that CPU alot its the cpu speed that limits how fast it gets info from the video card not the number of cores man. thats why i said that a new MB and CPU like the phenom II would be a better investment than a uber class video card paired with a lower end cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back