PSU/CPU/MOBO concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday an enormous thunderstorm hit the triangle area of North Carolina, so intense in fact that one of the jolts of lightning knocked out my house's power. The power reset within a few seconds, however my computer's power did not come back. Ive been trouble shooting for a few days now, Ive tried re-plugging in everything and even swapped in an older power supply. So far; nothing.

Specs:
PSU ANTEC|TP3-650 RT
CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R
HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS
MB EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR NF680I 775 R
VGA EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS
CASE LIANLI|PC-7B PLUS II BLK RT
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 R

Concurrent things that I have noticed have been my LEDS being completely active reguardless of power supply. The blue one on the top right of the MOBO stays solid and does not blink what so ever, reguardless of power supply. The orange and green ones towards the front stay on, however the orange is clearly brighter than the green. The neon green LEDs on the back of the Ethernet ports are also on. When I hit the power button there is absolutely no noise, and no reaction in any of these lights. Ive tried a new power cord also (also different socket). Dust is minimal, and I highly doubt that dust is the problem when it was clearly the lightning that caused this.

Thanks ahead of time, I really need this up and working by next monday.

PS: I personally think its the power supply that has been damaged but not totally knocked out, the current it sends out is so low that the motherboard can not switch out of standby.

If the older power supply didn't work either than it certainly may be an issue with the motherboard.

Does the older power supply have sufficient power for your system?

well its a bit of a toss up at this point. The older power supply does not have the proper amount of power however nothing was plugged in but the F1 cord. However the f1 cord did not fit properly due to 4 prongs being left empty. Two being shaped sort of like a U and two being perfect squares. Im not sure if that would make a huge difference in just getting power to the system. Im still concerned by the thing not even turning on, would it really be a mobo issue and not a PSU issue if it doesnt even turn on? I have an older computer that got fried way back when and everything inside is pretty much junk, however it still turns on.

Well you look over your mbo for burn marks or messed up capacitors. Then I would do what I did a month ago, contact a local computer shop and ask them about there return policies on power supply's. Find a place you can return a new power supply, buy a power supply from them and see if it works. I then returned the new power supply and sent in my psu since it was under warranty.Finding a place you can return a mobo or cpu would be harder.

Of course strip down your computer to the bare essentials and see if it works first. Mobo cpu power. See if it powers on. Then add parts if it does until you find the bad part. But I bet its the psu.

I regret to inform that it is in fact not the power supply. I swapped in a friends psu and I got the same results. Im leaning heavily towards the motherboard at this point, I highly doubt its the power supply or cpu.

For what it's worth I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. However, I would try to test the graphics card first to eliminate that as a possibility because when you have power failures and/or lightning, more than one component could be knocked out. That said, a friend recently had a power failure while his PC was running and after swapping out most of the parts with spares, it turned out to be only the motherboard. That doesn't mean your situation is the same as his but I'm just saying.

Test your power supply on your friends computer, you said his psu might not be compatible. This is a cheap easy thing to check. Like mail said as well multiple parts might have went out.

I actually did not use his power supply for the original testing, that was from an older comp. His power supply was compatible and did not work. Im now on the hunt to find a compatible motherboard, could anyone lead me in the direction of one that is compatible with my setup?

Yes, that motherboard appears to be fully compatible and should work well with your current components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back