PSU Crashed, Burned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum so I apologize for just coming in and telling you my problem expecting an answer. But I was really desperate and now I need to know if the action I took was correct and be certain my computer will not burn out on me in two days.

Here is how it all started, I brought this computer that was not going to be used at work anymore, didn't even know the specs but from how it looked it just needed a bit of cleaning. So I got him and the first thing that I did was try it out, but I didn't have enough space on my desk to put it somewhere else, so I placed it right next to my first computer, could not even fit a needle in between so there was no gap. Well it worked fine, I saw the specs were pretty cool, 1.4Ghz blah blah . So after that I decide to turn on my computer, well when I switch back all the cables and try to turn it on, well my computer just turned on and off on and off repeatedly. I went ahead and opened it up to see what was going on, still did the same thing, it got to the point where it would not turn on at all, so I immediately thought the PSU went wrong, even though I bought it a year ago maybe placing it so close messed it up. So I switched PSU's, thankfully they were the same specs, same watts and everything...

Now my computer works fine, but in the back of head I think it will stop fuctioning and don't exactly know what went wrong, thus i have a question.

Can really placing the two computers so close together and turning one on mess up the PSU or any other components of the computer next to it?

Do you guys think what i did was right, and will I encounter any problems?

Sorry, I know my post is a little long but I am somewhat desperate, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul :grinthumb

i am not sure if the proximity to the other system was the issue.. i think that it was heat and bad ventilation was the culprit here. do the systems have ample room in the rear of the system to cycle air out the back and not have it stay ambient in the back for a long period of time.. ? if not then you had the same problem one of my friends did.. he had two systems side by side and they were only like a foot away from the wall and on the ground as well.. then one day one system just shut down then turned it back on just to have it turn off again.. felt the back top part of the system and dang near burned my hand the power supply had burned out from the heat generated by both systems..not good.. so to answer your question yes it could happen.. in your case i think you have proven that one TRUE

Actually, that is a very good point, but I don't think that might have been the problem because as I said, I only had it on for 2 minutes max. But it could, however, be what caused it. Thanks a lot for the reply Optimus.

I seriously doubt its a proximity problem.

I currently have 3 computers right next to each other, so close that you can't fit a pin between them.

To top it off, I've put all three of them under the table. Together with 2 subwoofers, 2 UPS, modem, router.....

No fans at all in this room, or air conditioning. No temperature control of any sort (unless my CPU fan control is counted, if it is, thats one).

On the table are the 3 monitors (2 CRTs and an LCD). The room its in is small, not some large hall. It fits these 3 computers and little else. Roughly 3m x 6m. Can't afford a bigger house after buying these computers.

They are all P4, the slowest being 2.0, and the fastest is being Overclocked 2.4 @ 3.34. In other words, these aren't office PCs.

The only thing that might be good is that its raised about 10cm off the ground.

As I said alot in this site, my comps all run 24/7 (all of them), and I've never had any problems with them, especially with the 2 UPSs supplying power. Talk about having absolutely no downtime.

If this doesn't suggest to you that close proximity is not a problem, I don't know what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back