PSU fan stays on after PC has shut down (?!?!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendo

I'm having a strange problem with my PSU. After doing a regular shutdown like any other computer, the fan on my PSU stays on. It doesn't switch off after about 10 seconds after I turn off the computer at the mains (after it's shut down). I hear a little sound like some static discharging or something (it's hard to describe). Anyway my computer will not turn back on until I have turned it off at the mains for about 10 seconds. It hasn't always done this, and I can't think of anything that would have caused this. It is a Hiper HPU-3S350. Also I built my PC (that probably explains a lot!) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

James

One thing you could do as a test. Disconnect the psu from everything but the mains and short the green wire to any black one. The psu should spin the fan up while shorted than shut it off when not.

Let me know how you get on, im the closest there is to a psu expert. I've repaired a few good quality ones in the past. My pc is currently running on one that I repaired, only cost 38p to fix.:)

Could you give (or re-direct) me to a quick guide to test the PSU? Just so I don't mess anything up. If that doesn't work, I would definetly be willing to pay you to take a look at it if possible

sounds like you got a short. It would be far better to replace this PSU before it takes out your system or worse, starts a fire.

Good point actually. I'm thinking about selling up, so I have to make sure everything is working perfectly, even if that means replace parts

Conrtol panel will not help, you definately have a hardware problem, not a software one.

Since you asked

Try here and advanced tab.
You got nothing to lose.Also use Windows Help and support.
Search for Power.

The pc has problems at start-up and on shutdown. Read the first post. It's absolutely nothing to do with windows whatsoever.
The symptoms appear before windows has begun to boot then reappear once it has shut down completely.
Logic dictates that it absolutely cannot be a software issue of any kind, its just not possible.

Hendo said:
I'm having a strange problem with my PSU. After doing a regular shutdown like any other computer, the fan on my PSU stays on. It doesn't switch off after about 10 seconds after I turn off the computer at the mains (after it's shut down). I hear a little sound like some static discharging or something (it's hard to describe). Anyway my computer will not turn back on until I have turned it off at the mains for about 10 seconds. It hasn't always done this, and I can't think of anything that would have caused this. It is a Hiper HPU-3S350. Also I built my PC (that probably explains a lot!) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

James

Could you please check power condenser on your mainboard ? They are near the power input connector of mainboard.if Some condesers head has swelled, you need a new mainboard or repair condensers

I checked their website and didn't see any information on this, but - is it possible that the fan is supposed to stay on after shutting down? I've got 2 Enermax PSU's that run the fan until the PSU temperature drops below a certain threshold. I guess this wouldn't explain why you can't get it to come back on without unplugging, but at least it is thrown out there for others to see that some PSU's are supposed to continue to run the fan.

he has a power supply issue. A few years back there were a flood of bad capacitors on the market, but that has been resolved to my understanding. 90% chance his PSU is gone tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back