TechSpot

PSU fan?

By BlindObject
Feb 7, 2009
  1. So, My Power Supply's fan suddenly stopped working, I noticed because the LED thats in the fan is off. The PSY itself still working fine, but should I try to fix it? Is it terrible that the fan stopped working? The fan is on the bottom of the PSU box.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Some power supply fans will only work when needed. The fact that the blade has stopped can mean a failure, or it can simply mean that temperatures are fine and cooling is not needed.

3. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 412

I fixed it! It seems the little 2 pin connection of the fan came off of the input, so I just had to put it back in. But opening the PSU and voiding my warranty made me a little nervous. But it's okay, I gained +1 xp. =D

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

heh. And yes, as long as you aren't an ***** while its open you can replace the fan. I did that with one of my Enermax PSUs because the bearings were a bit loud on its exhaust fan.

And it is important you got it fixed, without that airflow your PSU would likely get too hot and die.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.