PSU for Dell 5150

alanjamesviper

i am not sure if this is the right forum but could any one tell me a site where i could get a 500+ psu for a dell 5150 in the uk if possible most us sites dont post abroad i would be very grateful

I need your service tag to tell you if it would be compatible.

If you have a standard case, and standard ATX PSU, any ATX PSU will be absolutely fine.

Why exactly are you looking to replace it?

service tag 5m4cc2j the reason i wish to change psu is when playing some games eg battlestar gallactica online x3 tc in main battles computer freezes and slows down

The PSU is unlikely to have anything to do with that unless you have upgraded the components and are starving it of power, in which case it would likely just die on you.

Assuming you haven't change the original specification, you have a Pentium D930, 1GB DDR2 (533MHz) and a Radeon X300 SE with 128MB dedicated RAM.

That is likely your reason for slow down, the games will be stuttering, slowing down and freezing because the intensiveness of the games are overwhelming your processor, RAM and graphics card.

Changing the power supply will make no difference to that I'm afraid to say.

I still doubt the X1650 will give it much ooomph, but I'll let others comment on that.

My advice is to wait and not purchase a PSU yet, because its unlikely thats the issue. In the meantime, whats the total wattage of your PSU?

I think you'd be pushing it, but the issue isn't lack of power, its lack of GPU performance.

Lets see what others think, but I think you're looking at least at another GPU, and a new PSU - though another issue entirely is how far you can go with a Pentium D before you begin to bottleneck it, therefore losing any performance gain.

I'm sure others will chime in with their views soon enough - It would be wise to listen to others before making a decision as well.

Back