PSU/MoBo, how do i know which is fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiLeNt1

Hello pplz,

ok, scenario, i plugged in an external hard drive using the sata plug in my pc and the external hard drives power supply. My pc then didn't want to boot up anymore. After a few tries it did however. 2 days ago, after having unplugged my pc from the wall socket, after it was turned off, i tried to boot it again, but it did not want to start up :dead:. The fan starts spinning, but the screen stays blanc and it doesn't give me the beep from post. I then unplugged my DVD-Rom and it worked again. I left my dvd-rom unplugged and used it for 2 more days without hassle. Today, however, as i started up Guitar hero, it froze and the screen went blanc, it still powers up the PSU fan, but it does not post at all and there is nothing on the screen. :(

Any suggestions?

Try running your computer with another PSU (borrow one if you can) and see if you encounter any further problems. If it still fails to work, it could be a fried mobo.

Also try clearing your CMOS by removing the mobo battery and reinserting after about 10 mins.

You can get a simple power supply tester for $10 to $15 in places that sell computer stuff... or online...

Or you can give us the brand and model of power supply and motherboard, and we can speculate based upon experience. Give us brand, model, and configuration of the computer, and the brand and power rating off the label on the power supply.

An investment in a new power supply is a good one, any way... but will cost you $50 to $70 depending on quality and output.

A power supply main fan can still turn, in some cases, whent he power supply is bad. Some power supplies are bad even when fully working... which is the problem with a power supply tester. But a good brand name such as Sparkle, Corsair, OCZ, Thermaltake, FSP Group, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, most Antec, and a few others (There are 87 brands of power supplies and less than one third of them are really good.) can be wise choices.

Or borrow one if you know other computer people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back