PSU/New Graphics Card concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking to upgrade my desktop's graphics card to an xfx 512mb 9800gt. The card requires a 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 26A). My current PSU is a XION 450 watt (LC-8460BTX) with the following specs:

+3.3v : 22A
+5V : 15A
+12V1 : 14A
+12V2 : 16A
-12V : 0.3A
+5VSB : 16A

I have no idea how 2 rail systems work vs single rail systems so I'm not sure how the combination of power output works. Do I need to upgrade my PSU or will this PSU be adequate for the graphics card upgrade? Also, if I do need to upgrade, which PSU do you recommend (budget being in the 50$ range)?

The Xion is a decent power supply which should work well with your graphics card. There are others that might work better, at a much higher cost... But it is not the brand... it is the probability of steady output under load that makes the difference.
There is nothing else as good in your price range, so run it. If it fails, then plan on spending $70 to $99 for the replacement and begin budgeting now.
My guess is you will continue to be happy with what you have.

Contrary to magazine write-ups, we have never seen a one fail... but that video card might be pushing it... But that Corsair is not a whole lot better... We have seen a lot of those low powered Corsairs fail... have two sitting in my box awaiting a return box... They simply do not support what they promise.
You probably need to up your power supply budget... $50 is simply not enough for a good power supply, and you are risking your motherboard and video graphics card for a difference of perhaps $20...

The PCPowerandCooling is definitely worth it!!! Suprised it is now so inexpensive,
The OCZ is also superb.
I cannot recommend the Silverstone.

The SilverStone is made by FSP; not so bad IMO.

Still, you'd know better since you probably sell FSP-made PSUs. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back