+3.3v 3.20v
+5v 4.97v
+12v 11.55v
-12v -12.03v
-5v 3.55v
+5vsb 5.3fv
vbat 2.74v

1. I want to do system upgrades.
2. Last week with 2 HD's in I kept crashing hard. Had been working fine that way, now won't tolerate 2nd drive, which works well in another PC
PC is HP Pavilion 762c, 200 watt psu that came with it, 2 gb ram, ati aiw 7500.

Thanks, Ron

lol how about you dont have enough power? No seriously though, just about everyone here would say the same.

Your +12V rail is dangerously low, as are the others. Usually, a variance of 5% (above and below the rail rating) is acceptable. But those values are pretty low. Pretty soon, that PSU is going to blow. Replace it with a good-quality one ASAP. Good-quality, reliable brands include Antec (except Basiq series), Thermaltake, Corsair, OCZ, CoolerMaster, Enermax, Seasonic, Fortron FSP & PC Power & Cooling.

After reading this post I looked at my PSU in Speedfan and here is the readings, what does it mean?

Vcore1: 1.31V
Vcore2: (bounces around between 2.64 and 1.17)
+3.3V: 3.30V
+5V: 5.16V
+12V: 10.5V
-12V: -8.58V
-5V: (bounces around between -0.23 and -3.8)
+5V: 4.78
Vbat: 4.08

It is a 575W supply and all I am not running much off of the system.

Rage is still correct as I was, also as he stated your 12v rails are really low. For example. Mine are +12v: 22 -12v: 20. You may see more problems soon.

I am not the one who started the thread, I just asked my question after reading... it is a pretty new PSU that I bought fairly recently, I will have to look for my receipt. Hopefully I still have it.

I have now seen my -5V rail drop as low as -.03. How acurate is speedfan at determining voltages, and if it is extremely acurate how does my system keep from having problems when dropping down to like -.03? Also, how bad would it be to keep running my system with the PSU acting this way until I get a new PSU?

Sorry for the double post, I didnt realize it until after it was done, then I didnt see anywhere that I could delete the second post.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Your +12V rail is dangerously low, as are the others. Usually, a variance of 5% (above and below the rail rating) is acceptable. But those values are pretty low. Pretty soon, that PSU is going to blow. Replace it with a good-quality one ASAP. Good-quality, reliable brands include Antec (except Basiq series), Thermaltake, Corsair, OCZ, CoolerMaster, Enermax, Seasonic, Fortron FSP & PC Power & Cooling.

Your rails are not stable, as rage said, replace your psu with a good quality one.

SpeedFan can't be called 100% accurate. Use another program like Everest Home Edition to see if the same case is repeated in it too. Otherwise, your other option is to use a multimeter to test the rails. That will give you the best answer. Wildly fluctuating rails usually indicate a dying PSU. Replace it before it blows and takes out something else as well.

replace Bestec 1956F

So its clear from the replies that I should replace my PSU, which is a Bestec 1956F. Dimensions about 5.9w, 3.4h, 3.9d. The Antecs are a lot bigger and won't fit. justpowersupplies.com (Beach Computers) has a 400w replacement. Are their PSU's any good? Does anyone know of any other PSU with more power then the original 200w that will fit and be a good replacement? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back