PSU question about Dell E310

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

I'm new here, but I figured I might as well skip introducing myself and get to the point:
Until I have the money to get working on my own computer, I'm trying to make using my family's Dell E310 more tolerable. It only has a 230w PSU, and if I can, I'm looking to upgrade. I haven't called Dell, and I don't intend to given all the horror stories I've heard about their customer support. I don't need anything crazy, just an improved PSU. But if something crazy is the only thing, which wouldn't surprise me given that Dell likes to make you buy everything from them, that's fine too. I just need a stronger power supply that's compatible with the computer and won't cause any harm.
Thanks to anyone who helps.

So contact Dell and ask them directly. Dell's can be tricky if you try to use third party upgrades

IMO? My texting abbreviations knowledge is weak... I've worked on some XPS's and they do seem to be pretty generic. I don't know the Dell E310

I didn't buy the computer, my parents bought it so my siblings and I don't screw up the other computer. At the time I had no intention of using the computer for anything other than work, so if I did have a choice, it wouldn't have mattered. And as I said, I don't trust Dell because I've heard that a lot of their people have no idea what they're talking about. It's a Dimension E310, so look it up, because I have to go.

My main issue is whether it will harm the computer or not. Some people say it's fine, the people (those at Dell) insist that it will fry the motherboard.

And on an unrelated topic, in which forum would I post a topic concerning building a gaming PC?

Dell is noted for their proprietary power supplies. If Dell says no, you better follow their advise. Does Dell offer a power supply upgrade?

"Other Hardware" might be a good place to post a new gaming build

Get an atx power supply from Ultra, Antec, Thermaltake, Raidmax. Those are good brands. If your machine is working fine and you aren't going to install anything else requiring more power, I would save $ for another P.C.

So pdyckman@comcas,

The Dell Dimension 3100/E310 power supply is a standard ATX? Not proprietary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back