Psu Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

piirate1919

I need to upgrade my psu, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good ones. I was thinking of this one. MSI TurboStream 460W BTX. What do you guys think? Dont want to skimp idont wanna fry anything but want to stay $100 and under. Intel 945p pentium d 2.8 1gb ram 7300le 500gb and 2 dvd drives. reason for psu is upgrade ordered 8800 gts 500gb (wd) 2gb dualchannel memory (Corsair). I got xps400 btx. I'm not sure how to figure out how much power i need. Any help will be appreciated.

You might want to bump the power supply up to a 600 watt. Many people swear by Antec. I have been using Ultra for over 2 years now and have never had a problem with one. I upgraded in December and installed a 700 watt Ultra because I also installed an XFX 8800 GTX. The 8800 GTS doesn't call for as much power as the GTX flavor, so a 600 watt psu should give you plenty of juice with some headroom to spare.

I agree, something around the 600W range should suffice.
I am also running an Ultra power supply in my machine. Their PSU's are pretty decent.
Other good brands include Antec, FSP, Enermax, Thermaltake, Seasonic, OCZ, Cooler Master.
Make sure you get a good and reliable brand for your power supply! This is a very important part of your computer.

You must carefully check your specs with any Dell machine. Some models of the XPS can be ruined by an incorrect power supply... I do not know if their XPS 400 is one of those. If you cannot figger it out, Call, don't email, Dell Tech support with your service tag and ask them.

Got the card about a week ago and running fine with stock psu no crashes as of yet. Running all games on highest settings with no prob. Only thing is I haven't added the second drive. Thinking of sending itback and getting 2x250
so i can run raid 0 and turning 500 I got right now to an external. Hope this helps someone, will post again when I set-up raid.

When you evaluate the second drive, also evalutate your cables and connectors. There is definitely a concern with that second drive and how it is configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back