PSU replacement question

able6actual

My gaming computer turned 4 in February and now that it's no longer under warranty things are going wrong. This week in the middle of a project the machine rebooted on its own. It restarted but shortly after did it again and again..I still have free tech support and two tech's offered help on what could be causing it. First I replaced the cooling system thinking the one installed failed and the cpu was overheating doing it. It still rebooted I purchased software called Hardware Monitor to see if the power supply voltage was bad but it seemed ok then I swapped out the memory in case there was a bad stick. It still rebooted. My support tech feels it still could be the power supply and suggested I replace it. I was told that I would need to buy the exact model and that buying any other would require a complete rebuild of my PC. Since the computer is 4 years old the power supply isn't sold anymore.
I was wondering if it's true that my computer would need to be completely rebuilt if I bought a PSU that wasn't the same.
The power supply is a Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250w model egx1250ewt
My computer was made by Digital Storm
More system details available if needed

1. What hardware do you have in your system that needs such power? We need your hardware specs: CPU, GPU, amount of RAM, drives, etc.
2. Why does he believe a complete rebuild is necessary because that particular psu isn't made anymore? Is it a special size? If your case is to standard specs then see point #3.
3. Who is this support tech? Does he work for Digital Storm by chance? Check these psu's that will more than meet your power needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07657 600479299&IsNodeId=1&name=1200W - 1499W
4. Before you spend any $ find someone who has a digital volttage meter and test your psu to see if that is really the cause.

1. What hardware do you have in your system that needs such power? We need your hardware specs: CPU, GPU, amount of RAM, drives, etc.
2. Why does he believe a complete rebuild is necessary because that particular psu isn't made anymore? Is it a special size? If your case is to standard specs then see point #3.
3. Who is this support tech? Does he work for Digital Storm by chance? Check these psu's that will more than meet your power needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657 600479299&IsNodeId=1&name=1200W - 1499W
4. Before you spend any $ find someone who has a digital volttage meter and test your psu to see if that is really the cause.

Answer to #1 - The computer was pre configured with the PSU that failed I didn't add it, it is no longer made Going by my battery backup power use meter my whole system with two monitors and 2 printers I use less than 400 watts
Answer to #2 - The tech told me that it would make things easier to replace the PSU with the same model and said it would require a rebuild if I choose another version or could not get that model
Answer #3 - Actually it was 2 support techs from Digital Storm, when the problem started it was first believed the cooling system failed so I they told me to buy a replacement and install it, When that failed to resolve it I called back and the 2nd tech had me install the software that read the PSU voltages and they where normal, then he told me to swap out the memory. when it still did the reboots he said he spoke with the 1st tech I spoke with and they both felt I needed to change the power supply.
Answer to #4 - Thank you I will ask a friend that's an electrician to come by and take a look.

Would you have any ideas what it could be? The techs didn't think it was the cpu or motherboard since it sometimes runs for hours before it starts rebooting. I know how to do simple things to fix the PC but I haven't a clue what is causing this. I haven't installed any new hardware in over a year

Thank you for your response and assistance

Sorry I left out my PC specs
Case - Digital Storm Blackops Gaming Case
Op sys Win 7 Ult 64bit
CPU - i7-960 over clocking turned off
GPU - EVGA GeForce gtx 660 ti
MB - EVGA x58 3x SLI
RAM - 16gb of Corsair DDR3- 1600Mhz (4x4gb)
2 HDD 1-1tb Western Digital 1-2tb Western Digital
DVD LG combo drive DVD read and write blu ray player lightscribe
Sound Blaster X-fi sound card

Last edited:
Answer to #2 - The tech told me that it would make things easier to replace the PSU with the same model and said it would require a rebuild if I choose another version or could not get that model

Would you have any ideas what it could be? The techs didn't think it was the cpu or motherboard since it sometimes runs for hours before it starts rebooting.
If techs don't want to suggest an alternate PSU, they are obviously trying to get you to buy another complete build. And they are using "the PSU is no longer available" excuse to take advantage of your lack of knowledge to get that sale done. An ATX PSU is one component in the system that nearly never changes in standard and can be used in any other system (assuming the power requirements are met).

A 1200 watt is way overkill, a 450 watt PSU will power a single GTX 660 Ti (600 watt if 2 in SLI.

I will not argue with them on the cause of the problem, because we have not come to a conclusion as to what is at fault. But building a complete new system because of a PSU problem, is laziness (arrogance if you ask me) on their part.

If techs don't want to suggest an alternate PSU, they are obviously trying to get you to buy another complete build. And they are using "the PSU is no longer available" excuse to take advantage of your lack of knowledge to get that sale done. An ATX PSU is one component in the system that nearly never changes in standard and can be used in any other system (assuming the power requirements are met).

A 1200 watt is way overkill, a 450 watt PSU will power a single GTX 660 Ti (600 watt if 2 in SLI.

I will not argue with them on the cause of the problem, because we have not come to a conclusion as to what is at fault. But building a complete new system because of a PSU problem, is laziness (arrogance if you ask me) on their part.

Exactly; could not agree more. Thus my question if these guys worked for Digital Storm. Any decent power supply with the correct wattage will do the trick; depending on the issue there is no need for a complete rebuild and as cliffordcooley rightly points out 1200 watts is way overkill. IMO they just want your cash.

For further information please tell us, if you can recall, what you were doing when the system rebooted, I.e., when doing specific things or occurring randomly.

I was studying for my General Class amateur radio operators license the book for the test came with a CD with sample test questions. The first time the system reboot and stayed on for about an hour ( before the reboot the PC was on maybe 2 hours) then it started rebooting over and over never reaching the windows boot screen it would shut down in the bios boot area. Now there is no set time limit before the reboots start

That does resembles a heat issue, if it takes a while before acting up the first time. And once hot, it continues to repeatedly shutdown. But then you stated you replaced the cooling unit.

Try running the system on only one stick of memory. After running for a while swap and try a different memory module. See if the system acts the same with all four sticks running independently. If there is a bad stick, surely you will find it this way. Or did you already do this? I know you mentioned something about swapping memory.

I was first thinking a heat issue as well. Is there any dust build-up on your cpu heatsink or your video card fans? Also, were you having any issues before installing the software/using the CD that you mention?

I regards to both responses the CPUs had a cooling system that was replaced with a new one when this issue started during that install I cleaned the interior of the case and the fans built into the case. The memory that was in the PC at the time the issues started has been removed and the memory that shipped with the PC is currently installed. I have benn using the CD in both my Desktop and in my laptop computer and had not had any issues with it. I will open the case when I get home the only thing I have not checked for dust would be the video card fans. Additionally if you think it will help I will do the memory stick suggestion with the memory I have installed currently. Also I want to thank both of you for your help in this matter I will check the video card and report what I find in a few hours

You could run the free and very safe Memtest on your RAM. Can you link us to the new cooling system that you have installed?

Last edited:
Here is a link to the cooling system replacement I bought and installed its a Corsair H100i 120mm cooling system, the digital storm tech told me it was an upgrade to the one in my system originally.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...218840843514&skuId=7353355&st=h100i&cp=1&lp=1

I opened the case on my pc and removed the video card and inspected the fan on it for dust and it was minimal at best, just in case however I used compressed air and a q-tip to remove what dust was on the fan blades.

After doing this I removed the original memory from my PC and installed 1 4gb stick of the memory I had removed when the Digital storm tech was trying to see if this was a memory issue ( The reason I didn't use the original memory was when the system was configured it came with 6gb of memory 3 sticks of 2gb each and I was unsure if one stick would be enough for the system) I started the machine and it ran for over an hour and it didn't reboot itself. I do not think this is a significant however since the PC has run for nearly 4 hours without a reboot occurring. Having worked all day I will rest and I will allow the PC to run longer tomorrow and post again with any results
I will also download memtest and run that program as well

Continued running the PC today swapping out memory sticks. The machine's first reboot came after 2 hours. I shut the system off for 15 minutes the replaced the memory stick to another. The longest the PC stayed on for the remaining 3 sticks was 1 hour and 25 minutes the shortest time was 40 minutes each time I swapped out for a different stick I waited 15 minutes in case it was still a heat issue. Sadly after the last reboot I believe the operating system has become corrupted. When windows tried to load it came up with the start up repair screen I attempted to use the system restore feature and it failed and now I am unable to get the system to boot.

Sadly after the last reboot I believe the operating system has become corrupted.
That could also be the cause of all your troubles. If something happened and corrupted your install, there is no telling what those symptoms might be. And it could have been the problem this whole time. Reinstalling the OS (or System Recovery) is always frowned upon and never suggested, unless all other options have been exhausted. And if files have been compromised, it will make finding the faulty component (that is if there is one) that compromised those files very hard to trace down.

The day the reboots started was the same day I run a full system scan on my PC , I remember it running because my system slows greatly while bitdefender is running. So I had to wait till it was complete before starting the practice questions that day.
Also would the reboots occur while the computer was in bios if it was a OS issue? The reason I ask this while I was on the phone with the first Digital Storm tech He had turn on the computer and load bios to check settings there and the machine rebooted twice. Thats why he thought it was a cpu cooling system failure.
Either way I have become so frustrated with this issue I configured a new PC today, NOT a digital storm one and requested rush shipping for it.
I will strip this one of its components and junk it. Thank you all for trying to help me

It sounds like either a memory or hard drive issue but without actually being able to run a few diagnostics it is hard to tell. What system did you decide to go with?

A neighbor of mine recommended ibuypower.com I went there website and they had a Columbus day sale so I configured a system with them and ordered it
1 x Case Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
1 x Processor Intel® Core™ i7 5820K Processor (6x 3.30GHz/15MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i7 5820K
1 x Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING-5 -- 4x PCIe x16, 6x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
1 x Memory 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
1 x Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - FREE Upgrade to EVGA GTX 970 4GB Superclocked - Single Card
1 x Case Lighting Cold Cathode Neon Light - Red
1 x Power Supply 850 Watt - Corsair RM850 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
1 x Processor Cooling Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
1 x Primary Hard Drive 128 GB ADATA SP610 SSD -- Read: 560MB/s ; Write: 150MB/s - Single Drive
1 x Data Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
1 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Optical Drive LG 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black - FREE upgrade to LG Blu-ray Reader Combo Drive
1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
1 x Speaker System None
1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
1 x Monitor None
1 x Keyboard iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
1 x Mouse iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
1 x Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit
1 x Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
1 x Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - [RUSH !!!], Ship Out in 5 Business Days
1 x Advanced Build Options iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring

I ordered fairly bare bone I will use a few peripherals from my digital storm like my sound card and the blu ray DVD writer, keyboard and mouse. I really like the case it has the ability to hot swap HDD built into the top of it

Back