PSU shuts down when ATX12V 4-pin power connector is plugged in

jgblfans

The other day my PSU stopped working. I took a PSU from another computer and hooked it up and it worked fine, it just didn't fit inside my case. So I called a friend who had extra PSUs. He brought them down and we hooked them up. None of them seemed to work. When I hooked the PSU that didn't fit into the case back up, this time it didn't work. I looked on line and found a way to test the PSUs to make sure they were working by attaching a 18ga wire into the green and black 20 pin. Then I tested each component separately. The PSU stay on until I got to the ATX12V 4-pin power connector. That's when it shut off. Does this mean the motherboard is now fried? Help me please.

"That's when it shut off. Does this mean the motherboard is now fried?"...
I would say yes...

ATX12V 4-pin power connector

Ok. If the mobo is fried....can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a new mobo? good brands, ones to stay away from. I don't want to spend too much. I do a lot of video editing and also CAD work using AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid works and Revit. any help would be appreciated.

Ok. If the mobo is fried....can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a new mobo? good brands, ones to stay away from. I don't want to spend too much. I do a lot of video editing and also CAD work using AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid works and Revit. any help would be appreciated.

First, we will need your system specs. The most important factor is that it is compatible with your current CPU and RAM (unless those components are outdated enough to require replacement).

Generally Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI are the brands to look for. Solid capacitors increase reliability but also add to the cost of the board. It is also recommended to get a board with a decent chipset to ensure good performance. I personally look for maximum upgradeability to increase system life although this is not strictly necessary (especially if your other components are old enough to require an upgrade in the near future and you are just looking for a board to get buy for a year or two).

This is what I can tell you about it from the paperwork that I have from when I ordered it in 2005. Considering it's 6 years old, I'm sure I need to upgrade.

HP Pavilion a1050y
Intel Pentium 4 650 w/HT Technology, 3.4GHz
2GB DDR-400MHz dual channel SDRAM
400GB 7200RPM SATA HARD DRIVE
9-IN1 MEMORY CARD READER, 3USB2.0, 1 FIREWIRE
INTEGRATED INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA ACC.900
INTEGRATED INTEL HIGH DEFINITION AUDI

The good news is that motherboards still exist that support your current components. The bad news is that there are very limited options when it comes to these boards and none of them would be a perfect match.
Here are the options I was able to find:
MSI 848P Neo2-V LGA 775 Intel 848P ATX Intel Motherboard This board supports your CPU and RAM but is full-ATX so you will need to replace your case. This is also a recertified board.
Intel BLKD975XBXLKR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard This is the only brand new, non-refurbished board I was able to find that supports your cpu but it would require a new case and new RAM (DDR2).

Honestly unless your budget is extremely tight your best bet is a new system given how outdated those components are.

If you reuse your current HDD and optical drive (if it is SATA) and don't need a dedicated video card you could build a good system for around $280

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition =$88
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P35 AM3 AMD 760G = $60
RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 =$48 (newegg also has corsair for the same price but it is currently out of stock. If it is in stock I would recommend the corsair but crucial is a good brand as well)
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 371 = $40
Powersupply:Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W = $45 (you can also get the corsair builder series 430w for this price but I would recommend the Delta made Antec over the Channel Well made Corsair.)

Extras:
Optical Drive: LG CD/DVD Burner 22X =$18 (if your current ODD is not SATA)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB =$59 (if you choose not to use your current HDD)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 =$110 (if you have been using AutoCAD with your old system without a problem the integrated video on the motherboard listed above should be sufficient although most people who use AutoCAD or do allot of video editing like to have a good video card.)

Also you may need a windows license: windows 7 home premium OEM goes for $100 and professional is $140

Back