PSU upgrade gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok. I have a W2260 emachines pc all factory except a 2nd hard drive (been in there for months). Now I ordered graphics card, sound card, ram, and psu to put in it.

The psu came from different factory from newegg for some reason so I installed it before anything else arrived (which should come today). I decided to make sure it was working and turned it on. Everything seemed fine. It started up like normal but while loading desktop it froze. ctrl+alt+del did nothing, although I did't plug keyboard in until it froze which may have been why. So I had to hold power button to shut it off.

Then I turned it on... Screen is black. Power light isn't on. I can hear the hard drives and such but they aren't really working or loading. CD and DVD players open. So I open the pc.

GOOD! Some of the power supply wires were against the CPU fan which wasn't turning. I moved them and it started spinning again but pc just doesn't run.

I thought it might be faulty psu but I put original back in and pc does same thing. So I assume my CPU overheated, even in 2 or 3 minutes? If so that sucks because there is no cpu upgrade for socket A made today. Just the same one for around $50 shipped so if I have to buy another it won't even be any better.

Does this sound like cpu? Could the motherboard be damaged? I don't want to buy another processor to find that it still doesn't work.

It is very possible that the cpu did overheat. A hot cpu will act up (freeze etc.). You found the fan not cooling. It's a straightforward situation. If you check ram and everything and it checks O.K. then you may have to upgrade your motherboard/cpu bundle. I would replace them both because of heat stress. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back