TechSpot

Psu

By Mattz
Feb 21, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a a7s333 mobo and I am going upgrade my proceesor to a 1.0 ghz and MY power supply is only 230wt should I get 400watt or a 350watt or would it work fine .And if I get a 2.0ghz processor in the future should I get a larger power supply ?
  2. Rory7

Rory7 TS Rookie Posts: 164

i got a p4 2.66 on a 300watt power supply with no problems. So a good quality 300w for a 1 gig should be plenty. Do u have neon and hundreds of fans though? if so best going for a bigger one.
  3. Mattz

Mattz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

what kind of mobo do you have ?
  4. Mattz

Mattz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

what kind of mobo do you have ?
  5. Rory7

gigabyte 8sg 800, what i considerd to be a decent mid range board.
  6. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

if you get a 2 Ghz i would upgrade. mainstream now would be about a 350 - 400w. go with a higher end like Enermax or Antec. and it all depends on how many fans, drives, lights and all you have. but if its a 1 gig athlon or duron your getting i think what you have now will suffice.
  7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

It comes down to you getting a quailty PSU. You can get a generic 350w PSU and it wont be any better then a quailty 200w PSU. So if you do get a 350w, be sure its a name brand such as Antec, or Enermax.

Many people may disagree with me, but I recon for PSU for your current rig is just fine.. I have a generic 250w in my AthlonXP2100+ rig :)
  8. Rory7

well i got a fairly high end system running on a good 300w no problems, id say 300w is more than enough even for a 2.0gig
  9. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

Antec PSUs are definitely quality...I hav enever had 1 issue with any that I have owned...my 2 cents...
  10. InsaneMonkeyBoy

InsaneMonkeyBoy TS Rookie Posts: 201

Power usage problems will occur when you get a top-end vga card. 300W will fine for most average systems, but you will be pushing it when you get a top range ATI RADEON card. Believe me I had to upgrade from a 300W because of a 9700pro but the 9800pro is one hell of a wattage eater.:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.