Psystar loses latest appeal, hackintoshes remain forbidden fruit

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's been a long time coming, but the US Supreme Court drove the final nail into Psystar's coffin Monday. Launched in 2008 by two Miami brothers, Psystar sold the first commercial hackintosh systems, dubbed "Open Computers," that could be purchased with Mac OS X Leopard preinstalled -- a strict violation of the operating system's end-user license agreement, which forbids it from being installed on third-party machines.

Unsurprisingly, Apple filed suit within months, commencing what became a year-and-a-half long spat that concluded in Psystar's demise. In December 2009, Judge William Alsup of the Northern California District Court issued a broad permanent injunction against Psystar's "Rebel EFI" hack and its hackintosh systems as well as any others "designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure."

Psystar appealed Alsup's ruling a month later in January 2010. It took over a year, but the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit sided with Apple last September, upholding the ban. Unwilling to take "no" for an answer, the would-be hackintosh maker said its fight was "far from over," in a Computerworld interview following the rejected appeal. "There is at least one more round, perhaps two," the company's attorney asserted.

In a last-ditch effort, Psystar petitioned the Supreme Court for relief in December 2011. After refusing to review the case this week, the Supreme Court effectively sealed Psystar's fate. "We are sad," Psystar's legal representation told CNET. Despite rejecting Psystar's filing, the company's lawyer believes the Supreme Court will eventually take a case on the issue (this point wasn't elaborated on). Apple declined to comment.

Permalink to story.

What? People want to use a Mac OS?
That does not make sense.
Why does it not make sense to you? It makes less sense that it used to now Windows 7 is a reasonable alternative, but OS X still has it's merits, and is preferable to Windows and Linux to some people.

What? People want to use a Mac OS?

That does not make sense.

I imagine it's more appealing when you are not paying a ridiculous premium for the hardware.

I agree with both of you. For the price, I think OS X is useless in comparison to Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, my wife loves Apple products, 'cause their "easy to use" and they "look pretty"... .... Well, I refuse to give Apple any of my hard earned money! So, me being the PC geek that I am, offered to build her a Linux box with Macbuntu... Nope, not good enough :-( --So I ended up downloading a lion, and scavenging some older parts on ebay to build her a core 2 duo Hackintosh for ~$250.00.

Just goes to show you how much Apple rips their customers off, when Psystar, and others can build Macs for a fraction of their cost. I guess that's why they have more money than the US government -even when they spend most of it in litigation costs and marketing.........

Just goes to show you how much Apple rips their customers off, when Psystar, and others can build Macs for a fraction of their cost. I guess that's why they have more money than the US government -even when they spend most of it in litigation costs and marketing.........
Bang on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I might not care to have OSX on my system (even to program for iOS) but the fact that apple wants (and probably bullied the court) to keep it "illegal" is just another reason why I HATE apple with a passion (but not in a blind, ignorant way of course ;P ). Sure it is selling their software on other hardware (which they could legit buy the software and it SHOULD be fine), but with how much apple is ripping off their customers, it should be allowed as they need to be brought down a couple dozen levels...

Back