Psystar loses latest appeal, hackintoshes remain forbidden fruit

By Matthew
May 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It's been a long time coming, but the US Supreme Court drove the final nail into Psystar's coffin Monday. Launched in 2008 by two Miami brothers, Psystar sold the first...

Read the whole story
  2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

What? People want to use a Mac OS?

That does not make sense.
  3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,268   +389 Staff Member

I imagine it's more appealing when you are not paying a ridiculous premium for the hardware.
  4. Why does it not make sense to you? It makes less sense that it used to now Windows 7 is a reasonable alternative, but OS X still has it's merits, and is preferable to Windows and Linux to some people.
  5. customcarvin

customcarvin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +7

I agree with both of you. For the price, I think OS X is useless in comparison to Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, my wife loves Apple products, 'cause their "easy to use" and they "look pretty"... .... Well, I refuse to give Apple any of my hard earned money! So, me being the PC geek that I am, offered to build her a Linux box with Macbuntu... Nope, not good enough :-( --So I ended up downloading a lion, and scavenging some older parts on ebay to build her a core 2 duo Hackintosh for ~$250.00.

Just goes to show you how much Apple rips their customers off, when Psystar, and others can build Macs for a fraction of their cost. I guess that's why they have more money than the US government -even when they spend most of it in litigation costs and marketing.........
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

Bang on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I might not care to have OSX on my system (even to program for iOS) but the fact that apple wants (and probably bullied the court) to keep it "illegal" is just another reason why I HATE apple with a passion (but not in a blind, ignorant way of course ;P ). Sure it is selling their software on other hardware (which they could legit buy the software and it SHOULD be fine), but with how much apple is ripping off their customers, it should be allowed as they need to be brought down a couple dozen levels...
    customcarvin likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.