TechSpot

Put in graphics card but only black screen when turned on

By nnjc
Feb 8, 2010
  1. i have just put in a graphics card (asus EN9800gt 512mb hybrid power) and wen i turn it on all i get is a black screen! what could the problem be?
    I have a 500w pc and its a very brand new pc with 64bit windows 7 and intergrated grraphics.

also note that the first time i put it in i forgot to put in the 6pin adaptor and when i turned it on it made a big beeping noise. could this have stuffed up the card? becoz wen i remove it, the pc works fine

help please???

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Do you get any beeps after turning on your PC?

Also, what PSU do you have?

3. nnjc

nnjc TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah a long loud beep and then i shut it down. it only beeped wen i forgot to put in the 6pin adaptor. i have a 500w psu

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Just in case check out your PCI-E slot as well; for dirt or anything and clean it out (while system is off of-course ;)).

Once you have done cleaning place your card back in the slot, reconnection the 6pin connector as well see whether it works.

Also Ritwik's Question about the make/model etc. of your PSU is important; because if it is not of good quality that can be an issue as well.

5. nnjc

ok thanks Archean. will give it t try :) =]

my psu is made by "hyena". its 500W ATX12V VER.2.2 Complaint.

says "the best seller in NZ:"

cheers! =]

6. nnjc

pcie express slot is clean. tried again and still same problem. arrgh!!

mayb wen i 4got to put in the 6pin the first time, it screwed up the card? is that possible?? :(

7. Archean

Well I have no idea about the quality of Hyena's. However, you can try resetting your system's bios. For this you need unplug the power; and take out the battery, if your board have a reset jumper you may need to pull it out as well, and leave it like that for hour or so. Then re-insert the battery; and put back the jumper in the right position (if applicable as i earlier said). Turn the computer back on; go straight into your bios; and load 'Optimized Default Settings' / or 'Load Default Settings'. Then turn off your computer again, unplug the power, re-insert your 9800GT and power your system on and see what happens.

9800GT I think need about 11A (total required ampage depends on your system specs).

Required PSU for this card: Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.
    Recommended PSU: Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.

8. nnjc

finally got the screen going! and after downloading all the drivers is there a specific way of checking to see if the graphics card is actually working? =]

9. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

How did you get it working? Did you reset the CMOS.

10. nnjc

got a computer whizz in here and he meddled with a few wires and things on the card. he also reset CMOS so that mustv done it! yay! :D

11. Archean

You can download GPU-Z and see what it tells you

12. nnjc

ok thanks for all the help! much appreciated!! :):D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.