Putting together computer

dardra

hello, i got some spare parts from my semi old gateway ( long story ) which i have not used since now because the pci - e port broke randomly ( or thats what the tech guy at the comp shop said ) so i bought a new one. SO i have these parts from it laying around and i set up the motherboard on a cardboard box with the cpu installed, and ram and psu plugged in ( i just want to see if it POSTS because its been laying around in a drawer and is possibly broken ) and i use the old screw driver on pw_on prong to get it going ( i randomly tested all of them to find the correct one ) to getting the computer going, the powersupply starts running then stops after about 5 seconds, with no POST on the monitor. any suggestions? Plus it has an integrated video.

WELL i've gotten it to stay on without shutting off, but no post. I was switching the PW_SW too different prongs. Any ideas ?

Oh, im not 100% sure but im pretty sure its not :p besides it being defective what other possible things can be the problem here?

Maybe the processor is not compatible with the motherboard even though it might physically fit. The motherboard itself might also be bad. It might help if you gave some details regarding the PC components.

well i know for a fact that nothing is incompatible because it was a store bought computer, i dont have the specs on me but i can find it later, its a gateway computer, with 512mb ram x 2 ddr1 , amd anthlon 64 @ 2.0ghz

Is the heatsink fan plugged into the CPU fan outlet on the motherboard? If so, and you seem sure that everything else works, it could be the motherboard itself.

Back